Thai diver missing off Komodo Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Thai diver still missing in Komodo waters | The Jakarta Post
A joint team from West Manggarai Police, West Manggarai Search and Rescue Agency and the Indonesian Navy were still searching for Thai tourist Thapana Thiracharcenpanaya who reportedly went missing while diving in waters around Komodo island, East Nusa Tenggara (NTT).West Manggarai Police chief Adj. Sr. Comr. Julens Abraham said on Tuesday that Thiracharcenpanaya, known as a master diver, reportedly went missing on Thursday.
Julens suspected the diver could have been the victim of strong currents close to Gililawa Laut island in Komodo National Park.
He said Thiracharcenpanaya was reportedly diving separately from his five other friends. “His friends reported to the police when he did not return that day,” said Julens.

Very strong currents in that area. In 2012 we dived Takat Toko (Castle Rock) and the current was very, very strong. It was hand over hand on the bottom to get to the spot where you look for sharks (bottom was mostly dead coral). If something went wrong, you could soon end up kilometres away.

I have worked with Thapana (Tee) as a DM in Baltimore over the past 2 years. I have read the incident report from the dive operator. According to the report, Tee was not "diving separately" but rather entered the water with 3 other divers and a guide. Over the course of the dive, the current changed and became much stronger, including down currents. A decision was made to abort but in the process of trying to safely ascend, the group became separated. Eventually, 4 of the 5 divers surfaced, some almost 400m apart. However, Tee was not found.

There is a memorial service for him in Baltimore tomorrow. Besides being an accomplished diver, he was a genuinely nice person. He will be missed.

I've just left the area and still word. I heard they were diving Castle Rock and it was around full moon. Komodo north has crazy current at the best of times, but at that time it must of been horrible. My guides told me there was no way we were going there. You just have to look at the difference between Batu Balong and Manta Point to see how unpredictable the whole area is. And they are only a kilometer apart. My condolences to Tee's family. The operator needs his head read for taking a group there on a full moon.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added April 25th, 2014 at 09:41 PM ----------

No*

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

We also dived Lighthouse Reef on our trip. When we did it we had a reasonable current from the south. As we rounded the point, we were pushed from 16 to 28 metres in couple of minutes. Not too bad, but still not planned.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom