Non breathing unconscious diver Key Largo Fl.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

skoobajunkie

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have any word on the woman brought back this morning? We heard it come over the radio. She has been in my thoughts and hope things turned out well for her.

Does anyone have any word on the woman brought back this morning? We heard it come over the radio. She has been in my thoughts and hope things turned out well for her.

what I heard last nite(not official!!) second hand from another dive captain whose boat is docked nearby and worked yesterday. morning guided dive on the Spiegel grove with bluewater divers, customer(adult male) lost his regulator on the surface upon completing the dive in rough seas(winds @ molasses reef MLRF1 was 16-18KTS @ the time) and had difficulty locating his octo/primary. the divemaster assisted in retrieving either his primary or backup regulator and put in his mouth, helped the other divers onto the vessel, the crew(divemaster and captain) then observed the diver in question unresponsive on the surface near the stern of the dive boat. declared deceased @ the dock or mariners hospital,,,,,,,,,,,,

reefman
key largo

---------- Post added July 24th, 2014 at 11:47 AM ----------

Monroe County Sheriff's Office - Florida Keys: New Jersey man dies in apparent dive accident

Last edited:
This is why you don't remove your regulator on the surface.

This is why you don't remove your regulator on the surface.

Ouch that just seems a tad harsh... My guess would be he had a medical issue and it dropped out - not necessarily that he spit it out because he was on the surface... But here I go speculating :confused:...

It's possible; but considering that he was able to retain the reg after the DM retrieved one (and the implied statement that he was actively looking for a reg to breath from), leads me to think of the injuries that can result from inhaling even a small amount of saltwater.

It wasn't harsh; just a comment on what is an often forgotten key safety point of diving.

Both articles said he became unresponsive after getting on the boat and had CPR administered. Although I suppose it is possible that ingesting water on the surface may have been a contributing factor, I think other causes are more likely.

Both articles said he became unresponsive after getting on the boat and had CPR administered. Although I suppose it is possible that ingesting water on the surface may have been a contributing factor, I think other causes are more likely.

I tend to agree. It's hard to imagine things going south this fast after safely ascending to the surface. Time will tell I guess.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

…It wasn't harsh; just a comment on what is an often forgotten key safety point of diving.

If that were a “key safety point”, I would have been dead decades ago. I usually switch to a snorkel after jumping off the boat for the swim to the anchor line and after surfacing. That is true in the Pacific, North Atlantic, and North Sea.

If that were a “key safety point”, I would have been dead decades ago. I usually switch to a snorkel after jumping off the boat for the swim to the anchor line and after surfacing. That is true in the Pacific, North Atlantic, and North Sea.
Sorry, I should have said, "air source" A snorkel will allow you to breath without inhaling water.

I don't see a point in switching to the snorkel unless you're going to be on the surface for about five minutes or so. The amount of air you use is negligible- and after the dive; what does it matter- I haven't got paid to bring gas back yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom