FL mini Lobster Season 2014 Accidents and Incidents

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mselenaous

Island girl
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Key Largo, FL... Dive Capital of the World
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Half way through the first day and there already is a report of one fatality.

Man dies after diving for lobsters in Pompano Beach | News - Home
Man dies after diving for lobsters in Pompano Beach

Author: Peter Burke, Managing Editor, pburke@local10.com
Published On: Jul 30 2014 10:03:00 AM EDT Updated 8 m

POMPANO BEACH, Fla.-A diver has died after being brought to the Hillsboro Inlet marina in Pompano Beach.
City spokeswoman Sandra King said the man, 22, was diving for lobsters in 40 feet of water when he surfaced unconscious.
The man was on a chartered dive trip called Scubatyme.
He was brought to the marina, where paramedics were waiting to take him to Broward Health North.
The man was pronounced dead at the hospital.
The death could be the first of Florida's two-day lobster mini-season, which began Wednesday.

---------- Post added July 31st, 2014 at 12:28 PM ----------

Here is another article with more information
Former Penn linebacker dies after diving for lobsters in Pompano Beach | News - Home

first; condolences to the family and his friends.......the word i got was he had to have one more lobster on half a tank of air...any true detail available?

Broward Sheriff's Office spokeswoman Gina Carter said Joseph Grosso, 22, of Lighthouse Point, was diving for lobsters with a large group of people in the water off Pompano Beach when he decided to go back into the water alone.

Last edited:
I heard that he still had gas in his tank, but that he had the dive flag rope wrapped around his neck. Could have been strangulation, lost his reg during entanglement, AGE after panic, any number of things.

-h

Back
Top Bottom