Training fatality at Lake Wazee Wisconsin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Sometimes divers witness accidents and want to share the story, but prefer to remain anonymous - so based on a PMed report...

Sunday morning a student diver on an AOW deep dive at Lake Wazee in Wisconsin had a fatal incident.

The diver was with an instructor at about 100’ when he indicated that he needed to ascend. The instructor ascended with the student, who refused to stop for the safety stop, to the surface. At the surface the instructor told the student they should go back down to do the safety stop. Student refused and said something was wrong and then went unresponsive.

The instructor brought the student to shore started CPR and was joined in the rescue by another instructor, DM and DM intern. CPR and Oxygen were administered until the Ambulance Arrived and transported him to the hospital. He was later pronounced dead at the hospital.

Very sad. Prayers to all involved.

I was there on Sunday between 11AM-2:30PM, didn't know this had happened. It's very sad to hear, the conditions were very good for diving. But I don't know if I would want to get my AOW in Wazee as it's so cold (it was 44 degrees at 70' the deepest i went), it's just another thing I wouldn't want to worry about when learning. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and to all those involved in the incident. I hope they find out what went wrong so lessons are learned...

I was there on Sunday between 11AM-2:30PM, didn't know this had happened. It's very sad to hear, the conditions were very good for diving. But I don't know if I would want to get my AOW in Wazee as it's so cold (it was 44 degrees at 70' the deepest i went), it's just another thing I wouldn't want to worry about when learning. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and to all those involved in the incident. I hope they find out what went wrong so lessons are learned...
I agree this is a sad incident and my prayers go out to the family and anybody affected by this.

I dive Lake Wazee a lot. There are not many lakes in the region that are suitable for a DEEP dive which is required for AOW. That and given the visability of the lake make it a great lake for AOW. Only a couple places in the region would be as suitable being Lake Superior or some of the Crosby mines or the other mines in Northern MN. Those lakes all get cold at depth. Not sure if you are aware but the first thermocline is around 30' where it drops to about the temperature you mention. At roughly 70' there is typically a second thermocline that is normally said to be 38 degrees below it. Personally I think it's a great place to dive. You just need to be prepared for the conditions. I think a 7mm suit is just fine but most recommend a dry suit.

AOW is within rec limits. The safety stop is recommended and not required. If the instructor and the student ascended together and the student goes unresponsive at the surface and the instructor is able to bring him to shore etc and the instructor has no problem, then this sounds like it was most likely a medical (or equipment) problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom