Fatality off of Oak Island - North Carolina

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Coast Guard investigates diver's death off the coast of Oak - WECT TV6-WECT.com:News, weather & sports Wilmington, NC
OAK ISLAND, NC (WECT) - The Coast Guard sector North Carolina is investigating the death of a scuba diver that happened about 40 miles off the coast of Oak Island.

According to Lt. Lane Munroe with the United States Coast Guard North Carolina, the first response call was received at 12:30 p.m. on August 17.

Munroe says that a private boat contacted the Coast Guard in reference to a 54-year-old male found unresponsive in the water.

The crew and passengers on that boat attempted to perform CPR until Coast Guard officials arrived along with local emergency management teams.

Emergency teams continued CPR methods and then the unidentified victim was transported via boat back to the Coast Guard's Oak Island station.

It is unclear when the victim was officially pronounced dead.

Munroe says they will not speculate on whether foul play was involved but he said the death does not appear to be suspicious in nature.

At this point the official cause of death is unknown.

Munroe says that the United States Coast Guard will investigate this incident just as they investigate all drive related accidents.

I dove off oak island 30miles out near the frying pan on Friday the 15th and the conditions were stellar, no waves at all. The boat didn't even rock other than when you were moving and I dove off a 24ft boat.

What is 40miles out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not a lot of info out there, but my understanding is that the group was diving the "meg ledge" (110-120 ft. ledge where they find megaladon teeth). Some darn good spearfishing out that way too.

Coast Guard investigates fatal dive | The Courier-Tribune
Posted August 21, 2014 - 3:56pmUpdated August 22, 2014 - 9:47am

By Judi Brinegarjbrinegar@courier-tribune.com
ASHEBORO — The U.S. Coast Guard is continuing an investigation into the fatal diving accident involving an Asheboro businessman, but it does not appear to be suspicious in nature.
Michael Gilliam “Gill” Frye, the owner of Frye Farms Landscaping, Inc., died Sunday in a scuba diving accident at Southport, off the coast of Oak Island.
Coast Guard Lt. Lane Munroe said they received a call at 12:30 p.m. on Sunday from a private boat in reference to a 54-year-old male found unresponsive in the water. “We were called out to a call of a diver coming up to the surface with complications,” Munroe said Wednesday. The boat crew and emergency personnel performed CPR on Frye, who was then transported to the Coast Guard’s Oak Island station. Munroe was not aware of when Frye was pronounced dead. Munroe said the death does not appear to be suspicious in nature. The incident is still under investigation pending any autopsy results, he added.
Frye’s funeral will be held Saturday.
He is survived by wife, Caroline, and sons, Michael and Zachary.

Meg ledges seem to claim a few each year. Deep, can involve physical exertion if you are not careful, folks loose track of air while looking for one more tooth. Not saying that this case was due to any of those but you have to stay alert on the teeth ledges. Some of the meg ledges are around 100-105. Depending on where you go.

Wonder if there is any more about this. Yes, the meg ledges can be 100 feet or so but the current, chop, and sharks are more of a concern to me than actual depth off of North Carolina as it's not all that deep compared to some as long as you are prepared to hang for a little while.

Mastering the ability to shoot a bag is certainly something that should be practiced and proficient before planning deco off NC coast in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom