Why did I get nauseated? Oil and water in my tank.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CaptainHornblower

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Went diving at Lake Tahoe last weekend and at the end of the second fairly short dive, surfaced and starting vomiting before I could even get my gear off.

We did our first dive, lasted about 40 minutes and went down to about 60 feet. When we got back to shore and I stood up I felt dizzy and nauseous. After maybe 30 seconds to get my feet under me we walked to our truck maybe 50 yards away. After an hour and a half my head felt pretty clear so we decided to do our second dive. We went down to about 60 feet and after about 15 minutes I felt the nausea start again, so I signaled my buddy and we headed back up to the shoreline. I stood up and felt so dizzy that I had to hold on to my buddy to keep from falling over and then started feeding the fish. I dropped my gear and walked back to the car. I felt tired, a little dizzy and still a little pukey.

The night before I went to bed on time, normal meal, good night's sleep, same breakfast as always, no nerves, ears clear. No indication that I should have had any issues whatsoever. I almost never get motion sickness (I sail and boat a lot in the San Francisco Bay and out side the Gate and rarely if ever feel any seasickness and never actually barf). My buddy and I talked it through and kept circling back to bad air, but what's the chance of that happening in this day and age, right?

The following Monday I called the LDS where I got the tanks filled and told them what happened; I asked if anyone else had complained. They said they'd not heard anything from anyone and had no idea. They said it was virtually impossible to get bad air (I asked about maybe CO since those are the symptoms I had), and they certainly hadn't heard anything, but they'd keep their ears open in case there were any other complaints.

We took all 4 tanks to a different LDS and told them what had happened, so they said they'd VIP them and refill them. I talked to them today; they found puddles of oily water in three of the 4 tanks. Mystery solved.

Then I hear from the operator of the LDS that found the oil/water in my tanks that he'd heard that the other LDS's compressor had a cracked filter a few weeks ago, but they got it fixed and thought they'd caught all the bad fills. I guess they missed at least 3 of them. Wonder why they forgot to mention that when I called?:no:

And be careful if they offer you "Free Air for Life", it may be a bad option.

Seriously, that is horrible. How would they know who to notify, I'm just familiar with my LDS and the refill practices at the local quarries. I've got free air at the LDS for being a member of the dive club, I just drop by with the tanks, they fill them up while I browse the shop. At one of the quarries, you just pay cash to the guy, never see anything written down.

Scary.

Steve

Scary. What was the original LDS' response when you called them out on their bad air situation? Did they resolve the issue satisfactorily? Otherwise consider posting the name of the shop so that others don't get fills there until it's addressed, maybe?

I called and talked to one of the long term employees and told him that we found oil and water in 3 of our 4 tanks. He said thanks....

---------- Post added August 27th, 2014 at 09:15 PM ----------

In SF bay area? which shop? It is cutting close to home

You're safe, it was a Reno dive shop.

---------- Post added August 27th, 2014 at 09:23 PM ----------

Name and shame!!!!

I'm reluctant, though I don't know why. I think anyone can make a mistake, but I'm taken aback by their reaction. As a small business owner I'd be going through my records calling every customer that got a fill in the last month and asking them to bring in their tanks for a free VIP and fresh air. If someone gets injured because of bad air then the "head in the sand" approach they're taking becomes some lawyer's wet dream.

In retrospect, had we gone down to check out an old truck at 110 feet, my story might have had a different ending. As it was we made it back to the surface from 60 feet about 60 seconds before I started puking. From 110 feet I'd have been, hum, probably not to the surface yet.

OP it is time for the dive shop to buy a CO meter for the their compressor and for you to buy one to check all your air fills. That WAS a near death experience. We had something similar happen and people were nauseous and throwing up.

Post up the name of the shop and insist they install a CO meter that shuts the compressor down should there be an issue.

My buddy and I talked it through and kept circling back to bad air, but what's the chance of that happening in this day and age, right?
:laughing: Uncommon, but it happens. Of the air samples sent to accredited labs for tesing, 3% fail. Would you drive tires with a 3% failure rate at hiway speeds? :eek:

All dive compressors should have inline CO monitors with auto shutoff and expert maintenance, but most don't. It doesn't matter which shop is was, as very few actually meet safe standards; they just don't get caught often.

All divers should own tank CO testers and use them on all tanks everywhere, but most don't.

You were puking sick on the first dive but dived a second? :silly:

I asked if anyone else had complained. They said they'd not heard anything from anyone and had no idea. They said it was virtually impossible to get bad air (I asked about maybe CO since those are the symptoms I had), and they certainly hadn't heard anything, but they'd keep their ears open in case there were any other complaints.
The big lie, all too common.

:laughing: Uncommon, but it happens. Of the air samples sent to accredited labs for tesing, 3% fail. Would you drive tires with a 3% failure rate at hiway speeds? :eek:
At the ludicrously slow pedestrian rate of 55 MPH you drive on US highways most of us in Europe at that speed wouldn't see a 3% tyre failure as a problem. At that speed its just a slow stop. With a no limit unrestricted Autobahn the only restriction is in bad weather and its down to 81MPH

Yet on the USA Highways there is an average of 3.62 deaths per 1b vwh/km compared with only 1.98.in Germany.
We just have better cars and highways I guess? :wink: Iain

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom