An incident I found on the spearboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jsjohnson

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I am not sure how to quote from another site and such so I will copy and past the link. But it is a Diving Incident none the less.

Spearguns dropped @ Springs near the Sarasota D reefs - Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum

Here is the main part.

Dive buddy ran out of air at 105'. Not sure how he burned through it so fast but he took his last breath about 30 seconds before getting my octopus in his mouth. He was not too keen on a controlled ascent after taking on some water already so I kept it as controlled as possible but still too fast. At 15 ft, I was adamant we were doing a safety stop as I had plenty of air left but he pushed away and headed for the surface. I saw him make it to the surface conscious so I figured he may be bent but that he was safe. I tried to get stabilized at 15 ft for a few minutes. About 1 min later, I saw his speargun drop so I swam and grabbed it thinking he just dropped it. When I looked up, he was face down unconscious with yellow junk coming out of his mouth. I surfaced, and got him turned over but he was unresponsive and not breathing. Had to drop the guns because working with one hand in 3-4 ft seas with your buddy dying, just wasn't working. Gave him about 8-10 breaths and got him breathing again though very shallow. He was unconscious for about 5 more minutes and came to right before we made it to the boat. Two guys on the boat dragged him in. He was alright at first but started deteriorating about half way in. That is when we called for an ambulance and turned on the afterburners to get to shore. He spent a couple of hours at Sarasota Memorial before being airlifted to Orlando for 5 hour chamber ride. Got released and made it home yesterday. He is fine.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom