Struck diver in critical condition - Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Miami diver struck by boat while snorkeling - WSVN-TV - 7NEWS Miami Ft. Lauderdale News, Weather, Deco
MIAMI (WSVN) -- A diver has been hospitalized in critical condition after he was hit by a boat while snorkeling in the Haulover Inlet area in Miami-Dade, Friday.
The diver was transported to Jackson Memorial Hospital after a passing gold boat with five outboard motors struck him. "I saw a gentleman get airlifted," said witness Peter Ferlitto. "He was in bad shape. He had severe lacerations to his arm. It was barely hanging on by his skin. He had a tourniquet on his legs. He looked pale and said he couldn't feel his legs."
The gold boat was returning from Bimini and was carrying three men. At least one of these men is a local.
Investigators believe the dive boat was in fact flying the red driver down flag that they are obligated to raise as a warning sign to other boaters to stay 300 feet away. They said this is going to be the most important factor in their investigation. "They were either diving in a reef that's nearby to here, or they were just in the water," said Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission spokesperson Jorge Pino.
The two men on the dive boat with the victim stayed behind to speak with investigators. The young man driving the gold boat stayed behind to speak with officers as well. His father showed up to the scene with an attorney, but they both refused to speak on the driver's behalf.
Investigators said they will take some items from the gold boat to use as evidence in their investigation.

It sounds like "Rich dumb kid driving a boat", but to early to call, I wonder if this diver as well had a sausage while on surface.

This type of insidents happen often, I wonder if it is a lack or poor mentioning about the Diving flags and diver awareness in the water while getting trained to get a boat license.

Same for the waverunners, the large mayority are idiots, and the rental stores sometimes not even mention nothing about the rules of a dive flag or diver sausage

Last edited:
Boat with 5 engines on the back, that is a lot of prop to do a lot of damage. I sure am glad that my Alaska Water is a bit safer than your warm Florida water . Praying for a good outcome for the injured diver and a learning experience for everyone that hears about the event

Running my boat up the ICW from southern Florida to New England this summer I was absolutely dumbstruck by the level of incompetence and incredible carelessness I saw in so many 'captains'.

Running my boat up the ICW from southern Florida to New England this summer I was absolutely dumbstruck by the level of incompetence and incredible carelessness I saw in so many 'captains'.

You need to get a license for a dog or cat... but anyone can buy a boat.

PS - what is a "gold boat" anyway?

You need to get a license for a dog or cat... but anyone can buy a boat.

PS - what is a "gold boat" anyway?
Here is a pic captured from the video. I suspect that the first reporter for that station just called it that and the rest have echoed the term to avoid mistakes. These days I am impressed when news stories bother to use complete sentences.

gold boat.jpg

Another version by another station referred to it as a "gold speedboat" and I think it's just the color. A comment below that article said "people in gold go fast boat are dopers" which seems to be an unsupported personal opinion, but I am guessing it may be a locally known, expensive, high speed style of boat. See Snorkeler Struck Off Haulover Marina « CBS Miami

Last edited:

It sounds like the title of Captain for these yahoos is included with a boat purchase, not earned.

So if Gilligan borrowed money from Mr. Howell and bought the S.S. Minnow II to impress Ginger & Marianne would the Skipper have to call him captain?

Court-Martial-gilligans-island-28013338-731-548.jpg

If their was a divers down flag, I hope the kid will have to use his father's attorney. Sadly, one can find idiots of all ages

Back
Top Bottom