USAF Sgt dead - Okinawa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Air Force identifies Kadena airman who died in scuba accident - News - Stripes
The Air Force has identified the Kadena Air Base airman who died in a scuba accident Saturday off the coast of Okinawa as Tech. Sgt. Jason D. McIlvaine.
The 42-year-old, assigned to the 18th Aerospace Medicine Squadron, was diving off the coast of Okinawa, approximately 30 miles north of the base.
Two airmen noticed that McIlvaine was in distress and brought him to the surface, where they saw that he was not breathing, according to an Air Force news release. They performed cardiopulmonary resuscitation until local medical responders arrived and took over.
McIlvaine was transported via helicopter to a local hospital in Nakagami. The doctors on duty were unable to revive him, the release said.

Do the govt/services usually come through with autopsy results?

The military, especially the AF, are great about creating rules when something happens. I don't doubt that they'd ban recreational diving. I'm surprised airmen are allowed to drive cars... Some of the stuff they make up is ridiculous.

---------- Post added October 23rd, 2014 at 03:03 PM ----------

BTW: I'm an AF vet speaking from experience.

The military, especially the AF, are great about creating rules when something happens. I don't doubt that they'd ban recreational diving. I'm surprised airmen are allowed to drive cars... Some of the stuff they make up is ridiculous.

---------- Post added October 23rd, 2014 at 03:03 PM ----------

BTW: I'm an AF vet speaking from experience.

There was certainly no diving, snorkeling, or swimming at Diego Garcia when I was there. PACAF is pretty good, however, about not making up too many stupid "you can't dive anymore" rules when someone dies. They do make up lots of "You can't dive here without the Colonels permission" type rules, however.

No, but I bet they put a ban on scuba for no logical reason.
It's happened before. A cousin of mine drowned there decades ago. Caca happens.

There was certainly no diving, snorkeling, or swimming at Diego Garcia when I was there. PACAF is pretty good, however, about not making up too many stupid "you can't dive anymore" rules when someone dies. They do make up lots of "You can't dive here without the Colonels permission" type rules, however.

It's annoying. You might as well say you can't cross a street because someone got ran over or eat chicken because someone chocked on a bone. Life happens...

I just moved from Okinawa a couple of months ago. The diver was an acquaintance of mine (although we never dove together). No, they haven't banned scuba, but I'd be surprised if there weren't some restrictions placed on active duty folks once the investigation is done. It's the whole kneejerk reaction thing.

Wookie, when were you on Diego? When I was there, swimming and snorkeling were permitted in the lagoon, but not on the ocean side. No scuba though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom