Local skipper dead - North Carolina

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
The deceased diver's name was released as Caleb Batson in this story: UPDATE: Diver identified in fatal scuba accident - WECT TV6-WECT.com:News, weather & sports Wilmington, NC

More information given in this one: Carolina Beach fishing boat captain found dead next to boat | StarNewsOnline.com
The captain of a Carolina Beach fishing boat died Saturday night off the coast in an apparent diving accident, according to the U.S. Coast Guard.

Petty Officer Nate Littlejohn said the Coast Guard was notified between 8 p.m. and 9 p.m. Saturday that a man was unresponsive in the water near his boat 55 nautical miles southeast of Cape Fear. Littlejohn said the first mate of the Cheerio Lady said its captain was floating face-down in the water with his scuba equipment on his back; the first mate could not turn him over.
Littlejohn said a U.S. Navy warship was 15 miles away at the time. The ship deployed a helicopter to airlift the man to New Hanover Regional Medical Center where he was pronounced dead on arrival.
Littlejohn said he could not confirm the victim's name until next-of-kin are notified. According to a vessel documentation record from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, the boat is owned by Caleb James Batson of Carolina Beach.
More information will be released as it becomes available.
As of 5 p.m. Sunday, a crowd of about two dozen people had gathered at the Carolina Beach marina where the Cheerio Lady was docked. A sign for the Cheerio Lady and Batson Charter Boats was adorned with flowers.
The boat is docked near the corner of Pelican Lane and Canal Drive.

I was sorry to hear about this. I dove off of his boat for 3 days this past summer. He was a nice guy and a great captain. My condolences to his family.

Yet another sad story!

I dove off his boat for 2 days, and was a very kind person. My condolences to his family and coworkers.

Caleb was a well respected Captain and waterman. He will be missed by both the diving and fishing communities. Not only did he run scuba and fishing trips aboard "Cherio Lady", he was an accomplished commercial hook and line and spearfisherman. The day he died he was doing both, a long ways from port and in deep water. The cause of his accident will never be determined, so speculation has no benefit. Having said that, he had the accident on his 3rd deep dive of the day. Commercial spearing is dangerous, and unfortunately Caleb paid the price. I will miss his presence on the water, he lived by the code of the sea, and looked out for me several times out there, even before he knew me. I was just getting to know him, and know many of his friends. Everyone is pretty torn up about it. Rest in Peace Captain.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom