Edd Sorenson saves another one

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
He's famous for that isn't he, altho most of his work is in recoveries...

Distressed Diver Saved at Blue Springs - MyPanhandle - Your Community Home Page
The pristine waters and caves at Blue Spring in Marianna attract thousand of divers from all 50 states and various countries. But what rivals the caves beauty and adventure, is the counties success rate at saving divers in distress.
Monday afternoon a pair of trained divers entered Blue Springs cave for an hour - hour and a half dive. However, two hours later one of the men emerged from the cave, knowing his friend was in dire need of aid. What happened was a combination of skill and luck coming together to save a one mans life.
The divers were separated in the zero visibility cave and when things took a wrong turn the diver knew exactly who to call. Just a mile from the spring nationally recognized cave rescuer and owner of Cave Adventurers, Edd Sorenson, was instantly notified with a phone call. "You know, 99.9% of the time when I get a call like this it's a body recovery." Said Sorenson. The diver was nearly two hours overdue from his dive and all his tanks were empty with the exception of one on low. On average it takes divers an hour to an hour and forty five minutes to put on gear. Sorenson and his team were able to get ready and into the water within 15 minutes. This quick response is necessary for distressed diver survival. Sorenson said he was entering the water prepared for a body recovery.
"I scooted along in the cave, looking up at the ceiling first then ahead. Then just a few hundred feet ahead of me I saw a light flashing." This was a signal of distress and a ray of hope that things would turn out ok.
"He was conscious, had functioning skills, and he could tell me that he was ok. However, he could not finish the job and get out of the cave."
Sorenson tried to communicate with the diver, "When I told him the way we had to go out, he acknowledged but wasn't moving."
Sorenson pulled the victim safely to the caves entrance and then to the surface. By that time, Jackson Hospital Life Flight on scene with the Sheriffs Department and Jackson County Fire and Rescue. Amazingly the diver was able to make a full recovery at the site and return home.
"It's very rare that somebody actually comes out alive." Said Sorenson.
Edd Sorenson has successfully rescued 4 divers in his career. This success rate has gained the hero national recognition but he doesn’t consider himself a hero. If you ask him it’s just part of his job, "It's just great that I aided a friend and a fellow diver."

Well done Ed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edd is a real life hero in my book. Kudos to all you do.

Is this an old story? I'm surprised there is nothing on cavediver.net about this.

Is this an old story? I'm surprised there is nothing on cavediver.net about this.
Did you follow the link? It was published today, but it may be an old story.

It is recent. Google and it pops up on a lot of different news outlets....most of them local.

ed is a real life hero in ANYBODYS book ....

I wonder what the problem was that this guy was conscious and alert but couldn't exit. Since he lived, hopefully he will tell us.

Great news. Kudos to Edd

I wonder what the problem was that this guy was conscious and alert but couldn't exit. Since he lived, hopefully he will tell us.
Good question?

Yeah, I see now that it happened Tuesday: "Cave Adventures" Owner Rescues Distressed Diver

Maybe Cavediver.net just didn't pick it up the first day? The Mypanhandle.com writer of the first story I found & posted may have never had a journalism class learning Who, What, When, Where, and How - but we see a lot of that in news stories these days.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom