Diver at UNR has 1-5 years to live?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tridacna

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Once again, pisspoor journalism complete with sensationalist and romantic blurb.

I'm left wondering how this guy got the death sentence from the bends? That's what the article implies er I think?

Is osteonecrosis that deadly? I always thought that it was as a result of overuse of steroids.

UNR scuba diver won?t give up on life | The Nevada Sagebrush

I'm utterly at a loss for what is supposed to kill this guy in 1-5 years.

I wish him well.

This says it can be caused by temporary loss of blood supply to the bones, it also says it can be caused by steroid use.

Questions and Answers about Osteonecrosis (Avascular Necrosis)

I did find this part of the story rather odd though.

"He thought he must have pinched a nerve and wanted to take a Tylenol pill to alleviate his body,"

Once again, pisspoor journalism complete with sensationalist...
Prognosis

The amount of disability that results from avascular necrosis depends on what part of the bone is affected, how large an area is involved, and how effectively the bone rebuilds itself. The process of bone rebuilding takes place after an injury as well as during normal growth.[24] Normally, bone continuously breaks down and rebuilds—old bone is reabsorbed and replaced with new bone. The process keeps the skeleton strong and helps it to maintain a balance of minerals.[24] In the course of avascular necrosis, however, the healing process is usually ineffective and the bone tissues break down faster than the body can repair them. If left untreated, the disease progresses, the bone collapses,[2] and the joint surface breaks down,[14] leading to pain and arthritis.[14]

Still flummoxed by the 1-5 yr prognosis and coming up too fast. Never heard of osteonecrosis - DCS connection.

I have no idea about the 1-5 years, but the DCS-osteonecrosis connection seems pretty clear...Arterial Embolism

As a physician, I do not see how osteonecrosis leads to that much shortened life expectancy. However, this guy had Type II DCS, and his neurologic deficits may impact his life expectancy in that way. Paraplegia, for example, even when perfectly managed, results in shortened life expectancy.

Still flummoxed by the 1-5 yr prognosis and coming up too fast. Never heard of osteonecrosis - DCS connection.

The connection is something I've heard of before; my understanding is that it's been linked to aggressive deco even when nothing goes wrong, which will probably lead me to curtail my passing 100m or hanging for more than a couple hours one of these days. But even if it can ruin your mobility, I've never heard of it killing ​anyone.

It would be interesting to see his profile. Could there be an altitude angle in this case?

Back
Top Bottom