Dual rebreather fatality - Phuket

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The way I read the article is that neither were found in the cave, but one was at the entrance and one on the surface. Which is not to say that the preceding cave dive didn't have something to do with the accident.

I’ve just checked Russian scuba forum. Both divers were very experienced. Speculations are that something happened with Dmitry (equipment or medical condition) and Alexander (the diver who died lately in the hospital) was trying to save him and got in trouble himself. Very sad.

As almost always, we have almost no information at all about this accident, other than that one diver died at depth and the other at the hospital. Medical issues, oxygen toxicity, hypoxic . . . there are lots of things we could posit as causes of the drowned diver's problems. The diver who surfaced either did markedly inadequate decompression or embolized, it sounds like; he may have been trying to save his partner, or he may have panicked and bolted, or lost buoyancy control for some reason. Most likely, we will never know what actually happened. It's not clear how much, if any information was obtainable from the diver who made it out, nor is there any significant likelihood that such information would ever be shared in a public forum. This is why we learn nothing and nothing changes.

Last edited by a moderator:

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

this thread is temporarily closed for moderator review. Already there is off topic discussion on rebreathers and cave diving not specific to the details of this particular incident. Marg, SB Senior Moderator

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Off-topic posts have been deleted. The Accidents and Incidents sub-forum is not for general discussion about the safety of rebreathers or cave diving. There are other sub-forums available here on ScubaBoard where you can discuss those topics. This thread is about the reported accident. Please confine your comments to the topic.

thank you,

knotical

Are there any direct information links on this yet?

“According to a dive computer used by the Russians, [it looks like] one them probably noticed that something was wrong. He most likely than told his buddy that he would have to abort the dive… and probably told the other diver to continue his dive while he sorted out the problem”

Sounds like hypoxia, hyperoxia, or hypercapnia (hypothesis, not fact).

Anybody knows which equipment they were using?

I would take that quote with a grain if salt Gian. Sounds like journalistic embellishment to me.

I'd like to see the dive computer that also interprets and records interpersonal communication and thoughts.

Back
Top Bottom