Diving fatality reported - Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ron Lee

Contributor
Reaction score
From Trip Advisor. Possibly a shore dive.

Google Translate

"COZUMEL, 26 December.- dies a tourist in Cozumel. An alien 60 years died in a diving beach in the resort Villablanca by momentarily unknown causes suddenly began to feel ill and brought him water to give first aid, but unfortunately died.
White balance in this holiday season does not exist in Cozumel, the death of two people raised at this time, for various reasons. Now the death of a California tourist named Sean Davidson, 60, whom the preliminary data indicate that the sea was taken at 15:50 hours because of an alleged decompression occurred."

If you click on the translate link it takes you to the news page and there was a little more info:

"\COZUMEL, 26 December.- dies a tourist in Cozumel.. An alien 60 years died in a diving beach in the resort Villablanca by momentarily unknown causes suddenly began to feel ill and brought him water to give first aid, but unfortunately died.
. Now the death of a California tourist named Sean Davidson, 60, whom the preliminary data indicate that the sea was taken at 15:50 hours because of an alleged decompression occurred.
. His death occurred on the pier "The Palapita the Middle", located on the beach Villablanca at kilometer 3 of the southern coastal road, so they arrived at the paramedics instead of the Life ambulance to provide first aid, however, for but made the attempt and had no vital signs.
It was learned from police that were in place that Sean Davidson was on a beach dive with an instructor Arturo Hernández from Blue XT Sea Divers, when suddenly began to feel bad, which was brought to the surface and lying in the spring as the ambulance arrived.
According to unofficial sources this person was a native of Sacramento, California, and traveled to Cozumel, vacation plan, allegedly stayed at the house of a friend and Friday had the urge to dive, not knowing it would be the last I would do because unfortunately lost his life."

While it is always sad to hear of a Scuba fatality, it is especialy sad during the holidays.

Friends of this gentleman, Shon, reported that he was getting OW certified and suffered a heart attack while doing skills. He was brought to shore and CPR was given, but sadly he did not survive. The dive was taking place in front of La Hatch. Very tragic for his friends and family. It sounds like he was a wonderful guy.

Extremely sorry to hear this. I'm sure Christy is devastated!

I'd guess over half the people that post in the Coz section have dove with Arturo like me also. He has thousands of dives with an expertise and safety attitude combined with politeness. I can count on one hand the number of Coz instructors I'd recommend and he's one of the best and most qualified. I think many others will agree.

I do hope he had good trip insurance as the family will want his body home, and that would be expensive otherwise. I think the state department will front the expense, requesting reimbursement from the family, but don't know if they push that? I doubt he had DAN dive insurance yet. I'd want my remains cremated in a similar situation, easier to ship, but then I keep DAN dive insurance and take very good trip insurance when I leave the country - so my family could ship me home for a second autopsy for free, before cremating.

Heart attacks can be survived in ideal situations, but I wouldn't want to spend my last years always close to excellent medical facilities. I'd rather go on the adventures and risk it, like he did, like I do now & then. I do carry a PLB everywhere, anytime I leave my house actually, but still - I'd rather die on an adventure than sit around waiting for the risk of a cardiac event. I just don't want to be much of a bother for my family when I go.

I'm glad he kept going to the end, and hope his family can be comforted by that.

I am Christi Courtney, the owner of Blue XT~Sea Diving.

As per usual, the local newspaper does not report with accuracy. Let me first say - this was NOT a "decompression event", it was NOT a diving fatality as the result of an accident, and he had no KNOWN health issues prior to the dive. The cause of death was a heart attack - but he happened to be in scuba gear on the surface at the time of the event.

The instructor and first responders followed protocol and handled everything like the trained professionals that they are. Nothing that they did or didn't do caused this loss of life. It was a tragic medical issue that presented while Shon was doing something he was happy to be doing.

This was a very tragic loss. Shon was not only a customer, he was also my friend and brother AND he was a very close and dear friend/brother to my adopted family here - we all spent Christmas Eve and Christmas together - so yes, this is difficult not only on a professional level, but also on a personal level. We have been grieving and supporting each other for the past 2 days. Shon was a very special human being who touched many lives. He had a contagious warm and loving energy, he was successful in business, as a brother, as a son, a mentor, and as a friend. Shon overcame many obstacles in his earlier years, but learned how to live life on life's terms with integrity and as an example of the kind of human we should all strive to be like. I am grateful that Shon passed peacefully and quickly while doing something that he dreamed of for years. I am even more grateful and blessed that God allowed him to be brought into my life, even if briefly.

RIP Shon, you are loved and missed - but God has other work for you now! We have a very special angel watching over us now.

Last edited:
Thank you, Christi......our thoughts are with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Realising the lengthy delay with this event; I will continue... Devastated to learn of this news, albeit via the internet. Shon was a very strong character in the public eye and in the private setting. He was my boyfriend and very much the "first love" of my life. Even to this day I can hear him yammer, when I or someone else was was faltering; he'd say: "You've got to do the right thing or else you have to 'come back' and do it all over again!" And, he'd say it with much conviction. I guess I'm left with feelings that I hope he got it right, so he doesn't have to 'come back'. He was very driven, sometimes extremely intense but very much a seeker of the truth... Thank you for all that you taught me, Shon! I hope you're flying through the stars, free from the pain of this world.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom