(15 APR 04) Have you ever been close to meeting your maker while diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fgray1

GDI Diver
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just courious.
I like to read about others experiences. I like to take in the info and learn from it.
No flaming please. I don't want to hear about how dumb someone was, just what went wrong and how did you react to it. My closest call was last weekend and it got me thinking, along with pugs Post of
"If I should die while diving."
Fred

I used to volunteer at a certain aquarium in Tampa and I had a Zeagle BC that I could not release the weights in. Some one turned off the surface supplied air while I was cleaning the bottom. Not fun with out fins while you are overweighted!!!

I ended up living (obviously) but I had a bad case of pneumonia from inhaling some water. I also had a hard time diving on my first 5 dives after it happened. Apparently the feeling of aspiration is normal after a near drowning event!

Anyway needless to say I am not a fan of Zeagle's velcro overflap on the weight system!

No offense to those Zeagle fans! Just make sure you don't overlap the little flaps!

I've had several close calls.

Well actually I've had more than several. It is not that I have intentionally sought to put myself in jeopardy, quite the opposite... but adventure does put one closer to the edge.

I have posted many of the *incidents* as humorous stories though anyone reading around the humor would notice that the situation was not funny at all .

One incident that I have re-visited (mentally and literally) in the last few weeks was my birthday dive.

Having just done a dive at Deception Pass a week or so ago and planning to dive it again in another week or so I've been *reflecting*.

I probably won't attempt another planned decompression dive there again and re-thinking what happened it might have been a real blessing that my suit ripped when it did. If we had spent the planned time at depth and had incured a significant deco obligation things might have gotten a little dicey trying to maintain stops. As it was we did OK in that department but with the upwellings that occur there, it can't be guaranteed.

Just because we don't happen to die on a particular dive doesn't mean that a slightly different circumstance might not have tipped the scales.

"Have you ever been close to meeting your maker while diving ?"

Neither of my parents dived, so... no.

K.

I've posted several incedents also. I don't know how close I ever really came to death. I don't remember ever thinking I was going to die although I was pretty busy a few times. In each case while we weren't prepared enough to stay out od trouble we were prepared enough to get out of it. Like UP said if something had been just a little different maybe things would have been worse.

Just a couple weeks ago while on a cave dive we had a hickup on a dive and ended up in a siltout requireing us to use the line for what it's there for. As always a mistake caysed the problem but thanks to the things we did right it wasn't much of a problem at all. At the same time bunches of people have died from much smaller non-problems.

You should have been there for the debriefing! LOL

And then there was the really dumb thing I did last fall...

It was a deep cave dive. The mix had a lot of helium. A bunch. Now I haven't ever been light in my 104's but I knew it was going to be a long dive and I put on some extra insulation. Did I mention that there was a bunch of helium in the mix?

When we got to the point in the dive where we had decided to stop, asses and decide whether to turn or go further, I was feeling light. Not too light but lighter than I ever felt in my 104's. Oh, I had a stage of that same gas with a lot of helium. I turned the dive knowing that I was only going to get lighter.

By the time we picked up our other 2 bottles and deco'd up to the shallow trip out I was uncomfortable light with a 20 minute swim still ahead. It wasn't unmanagable but I sure couldn't take a very deep breath.

Once outside the cave we had another 30 minutes of decompression and I wasn't getting any heavier. I was able to take some of the buoyant bottles and send them up the line on their own which solved the problem. Another member of the team had the same problem and he was happy to learn the "send the light bottles up the line" trick. We left the line there (tied off at 30 ft) while we spent time at 20 ft until a O2 break and then dropped down to untie it.

Of course I thought of leaving the other light bottles in the cave but things were still manageable and having to do another dive would have been really inconvenient. A little more inconvenient and I would have been taking another day off work to do a clean up dive.

As it was it was just uncomfortable for a few minutes but what if there had been one or more other issues to deal with?

Yep...Dumb

I had a pretty big scare about 5 months ago. A friend (I met in my PADI rescue class) called me up to see if I wanted to dive with him. Our orginal plan was to dive with a local op right out of West Palm Beach. (Other than out of the country dives, this had been the only charter that I had used) My friend called me and told me the WPB op was full and that he decided we she go just a little bit north of there to Jupiter. I was a little hesitant, but agreed to go. We arrived to the dive shop and checked in, did all the basic stuff prior to leaving the dock. I got all my gear onboard and ready to go. As always, I was looking around the boat, checking out faces, looking at gear, ect. First red flag for me "should" have been all the tech stuff people had, some of this stuff I didnt even know what it was. I figured all is fine, they just have more money than me :). **diver error #1 , I should have asked questions**The dive instructor/shop owner asked whose air was onboard, (I was the only one not using Nitrox) I felt embarressed, but spoke up and told him it was mine. He had one of the guys take my air off the boat and TOLD me I was diving with Nitrox... whistles, sirens, and you name it, where going through my mind as I explained to him that I wasnt certified to use Nitrox. After 15 minutes of going back and forth, he pretty bluntly said he was an instructor and that it was perfectly safe and okay for me to use Nitrox seeing how he would be right there next to me. I finally agreed and signed off on the little sticker showing what my mix was, even though I wasnt sure what it was for at the time. **diver error #2, I should have told him NO and either went with air or 86 the dive**

And we're off.. I started talking to my friend and telling him I felt a bit uncomfortable with the whole thing and he assured me it would be fine. It took two and a half hours to get to the first dive and was the first time I had heard about where exactly we were going. We ended up doing a wreck dive to the USS Rankin, I dont know the exact depth cause I only made it to 97 feet. (BTW this was dive#22 for me) The water temp was 69f so I wore my hubbies 3mm shortie over my 3 1/2 full, I just added some more weight and figured I was good to go. We had our dive plan ready and in we went. Here I am, in the water bobbing at the surface while watching people descend head first (never seen that before). I finally make it down to about 4 feet and I feel a hudge jerk on my fin, looking down I see that its my dive buddie pulling me to him. Here's where the first accident happens. At about 10 feet, I start descending very fast, in my mind I know I need to slow down. I added little puffs of air into my bc and fanned out my legs. I held my computer in one and tried to equalize with the other. At about 45 feet the viz went to maybe a foot, theres lots of blood in my mask and I have this horrible HORRIBLE!! pain in my right ear and then a small little pop and the pain was gone. At 97 feet I've finally managed to stop but the bubbles are all going sideways.. (wierd feeling) Thank God I had a fab. instructor, I kept hearing his voice telling me not to panic, take my time and figure the situation out. He had always said, trust your compass, and remember bubbles always go up.

I got back on the boat by myself and noticed I wasnt hearing much out of that ear, but no pain, I figured I must just be having problems with my eustachian tube and popped some claritin(the nosebleed stopped shortly there after). Everyone else staggered back on the boat about 10 minutes later, the viz blew that dive out. I told 2 of the divemasters onboard what had happened, they said it didnt seem like that big of deal and I should be fine for the rest of the day.

dive two.. another 2 1/2 hours back and we get dropped off at The hole in the wall. I explained to my buddy I was having a problem with my ear and that if I couldnt clear I would surface alone and he could continue the dive, he refused that offer and insisted we would go up together. This time I weighted my self much better and all seemed fine. We descend normally as I watch my computer I'm into total disbielf at our depth. 110,120 125, 130, 133 was the last depth I remembered although my computer had me at 138. I remember just looking around and thinking everything was pretty damn funny my computer is going off and there I was thinking, I cant believe this thing even plays music. I was all by myslf (so much for my dive buddy). Had it not been for one divemaster that came back for me, I dont think I would have been here to tell my story. He brought me up a few feet and I was back to myself. He took me up to 75 feet where we hung for just over 5 minutes and where I ran out of air, and then another deco at 20 for 5 more minutes. I now know how bad buddy breathing sucks.

Back on the boat, I just wanted to be left alone, I was so mad at myself for even being in that situation in the first place. The divemaster told me not to beat myself up and that running out of air is something that has happened to the best of divers (bs) and that he was just so proud of me for not panicking. I was still mad. I sat the next dive out, but the last dive the instructor (to whom I hadn't seen all day) came up to me and told me I needed to get right back in the water so that expierence wouldnt haunt me. I did just that **DUMB** the last dive for me was an easy one for me. We went to the Tunnels and at 73 feet I felt pretty comfortable. **lost count of all the diver errors**

It was a very long day, and not only was I mad at myself, I was a little....um... "flustered" with my dive buddy for leaving me. One day later I'm in the E.R. with major ear pain only to find out I blew the eardrum.I kept hearing the doctor say I may never be able to dive again. (although I now have some hearing loss I'm thankful it healed well enough for me to dive again, 4 months later)
I told the entire expiernce to my own instructor a few days later. My so called buddy had told him I had a small problem with my ear, but not a word about anything else. He sat there in horror while I spilled it all and wanted to know who, what, & where. I didnt realize the whole nitrox thing then, but I now know just how dangerous it was for me @138 feet with a 33% mix.

I dont blame the dive op or the instructor (although many disagree with that). I do believe my dive buddy shouldn't have left me on that deep dive the way he did, but ultimately, I chose to dive and I am responsible for whatever actions I take. Ignorance is no excuse.
I still have dreams about this day now, but I'm hoping to use it as a teaching tool for others. My lessons learned,know who your diving with and all the details of the dive, and for God sake, when that little voice says not to, make sure you listen to it.

Sorry this ended up being a whole lot longer than I intended it to be..

Uncle Pug:
dive4funOften... in your case (no fins,weighted diver, surface supplied air) I would think that wearing a bailout bottle would be mandatory!

When I looked at how dangerously incompetent they were with my life I stopped volunteering. You are correct I should have had a bottle but they will not allow anyone in the aquarium with a tank. It may scratch the plastic!!

I guess I was a little more upset about the way it was handled. If I would have slipped on some water on the floor they would have been a little more responsible. Instead they acted like it never really happened! I guess I was dreaming of that white light and inhaling dirty aquarium water for fun!

Anyway now I dive for fun!

baitedstorm:
I had a pretty big scare about 5 months ago. A friend (I met in my PADI rescue class) called me up to see if I wanted to dive with him. Our orginal plan was to dive with a local op right out of West Palm Beach. (Other than out of the country dives, this had been the only charter that I had used) My friend called me and told me the WPB op was full and that he decided we she go just a little bit north of there to Jupiter. I was a little hesitant, but agreed to go. We arrived to the dive shop and checked in, did all the basic stuff prior to leaving the dock. I got all my gear onboard and ready to go. As always, I was looking around the boat, checking out faces, looking at gear, ect. First red flag for me "should" have been all the tech stuff people had, some of this stuff I didnt even know what it was. I figured all is fine, they just have more money than me :). **diver error #1 , I should have asked questions**The dive instructor/shop owner asked whose air was onboard, (I was the only one not using Nitrox) I felt embarressed, but spoke up and told him it was mine. He had one of the guys take my air off the boat and TOLD me I was diving with Nitrox... whistles, sirens, and you name it, where going through my mind as I explained to him that I wasnt certified to use Nitrox. After 15 minutes of going back and forth, he pretty bluntly said he was an instructor and that it was perfectly safe and okay for me to use Nitrox seeing how he would be right there next to me. I finally agreed and signed off on the little sticker showing what my mix was, even though I wasnt sure what it was for at the time. **diver error #2, I should have told him NO and either went with air or 86 the dive**

And we're off.. I started talking to my friend and telling him I felt a bit uncomfortable with the whole thing and he assured me it would be fine. It took two and a half hours to get to the first dive and was the first time I had heard about where exactly we were going. We ended up doing a wreck dive to the USS Rankin, I dont know the exact depth cause I only made it to 97 feet. (BTW this was dive#22 for me) The water temp was 69f so I wore my hubbies 3mm shortie over my 3 1/2 full, I just added some more weight and figured I was good to go. We had our dive plan ready and in we went. Here I am, in the water bobbing at the surface while watching people descend head first (never seen that before). I finally make it down to about 4 feet and I feel a hudge jerk on my fin, looking down I see that its my dive buddie pulling me to him. Here's where the first accident happens. At about 10 feet, I start descending very fast, in my mind I know I need to slow down. I added little puffs of air into my bc and fanned out my legs. I held my computer in one and tried to equalize with the other. At about 45 feet the viz went to maybe a foot, theres lots of blood in my mask and I have this horrible HORRIBLE!! pain in my right ear and then a small little pop and the pain was gone. At 97 feet I've finally managed to stop but the bubbles are all going sideways.. (wierd feeling) Thank God I had a fab. instructor, I kept hearing his voice telling me not to panic, take my time and figure the situation out. He had always said, trust your compass, and remember bubbles always go up.

I got back on the boat by myself and noticed I wasnt hearing much out of that ear, but no pain, I figured I must just be having problems with my eustachian tube and popped some claritin(the nosebleed stopped shortly there after). Everyone else staggered back on the boat about 10 minutes later, the viz blew that dive out. I told 2 of the divemasters onboard what had happened, they said it didnt seem like that big of deal and I should be fine for the rest of the day.

dive two.. another 2 1/2 hours back and we get dropped off at The hole in the wall. I explained to my buddy I was having a problem with my ear and that if I couldnt clear I would surface alone and he could continue the dive, he refused that offer and insisted we would go up together. This time I weighted my self much better and all seemed fine. We descend normally as I watch my computer I'm into total disbielf at our depth. 110,120 125, 130, 133 was the last depth I remembered although my computer had me at 138. I remember just looking around and thinking everything was pretty damn funny my computer is going off and there I was thinking, I cant believe this thing even plays music. I was all by myslf (so much for my dive buddy). Had it not been for one divemaster that came back for me, I dont think I would have been here to tell my story. He brought me up a few feet and I was back to myself. He took me up to 75 feet where we hung for just over 5 minutes and where I ran out of air, and then another deco at 20 for 5 more minutes. I now know how bad buddy breathing sucks.

Back on the boat, I just wanted to be left alone, I was so mad at myself for even being in that situation in the first place. The divemaster told me not to beat myself up and that running out of air is something that has happened to the best of divers (bs) and that he was just so proud of me for not panicking. I was still mad. I sat the next dive out, but the last dive the instructor (to whom I hadn't seen all day) came up to me and told me I needed to get right back in the water so that expierence wouldnt haunt me. I did just that **DUMB** the last dive for me was an easy one for me. We went to the Tunnels and at 73 feet I felt pretty comfortable. **lost count of all the diver errors**

It was a very long day, and not only was I mad at myself, I was a little....um... "flustered" with my dive buddy for leaving me. One day later I'm in the E.R. with major ear pain only to find out I blew the eardrum.I kept hearing the doctor say I may never be able to dive again. (although I now have some hearing loss I'm thankful it healed well enough for me to dive again, 4 months later)
I told the entire expiernce to my own instructor a few days later. My so called buddy had told him I had a small problem with my ear, but not a word about anything else. He sat there in horror while I spilled it all and wanted to know who, what, & where. I didnt realize the whole nitrox thing then, but I now know just how dangerous it was for me @138 feet with a 33% mix.

I dont blame the dive op or the instructor (although many disagree with that). I do believe my dive buddy shouldn't have left me on that deep dive the way he did, but ultimately, I chose to dive and I am responsible for whatever actions I take. Ignorance is no excuse.
I still have dreams about this day now, but I'm hoping to use it as a teaching tool for others. My lessons learned,know who your diving with and all the details of the dive, and for God sake, when that little voice says not to, make sure you listen to it.

Sorry this ended up being a whole lot longer than I intended it to be..

Yikes - I may not have been so nice in your shoes. Nitrox at 138???? Gosh I hope that whoever permitted you to dive on that is not still in business! You could have died!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom