PADI 5-Star Water World sued for selling toxic scuba tank air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mempilot

Contributor
Reaction score
I guess they finally filed the suit. Does anyone know any background on this?

DURHAM, N. Carolina (29 May 2005) -- Water World, a large marine supply store on South Miami Boulevard, is being sued for allegedly filling a scuba diver's tank with poisonous air and causing brain damage that has partially disabled the man.

Lawyer David Wicker filed the suit Friday on behalf of John Hanselman of Durham, the diver.

"This is news to me," Water World owner David Katzenmeyer said of the suit Friday evening.

"I honestly don't know what is appropriate for me to say," he added.

According to Katzenmeyer, several other divers used air from the same source container and developed no adverse symptoms. The owner also said Water World has dispensed air for more than 25 years and never before had a problem.

"The air we sold Mr. Hanselman was extremely malodorous," said Katzenmeyer. "It should have been smelled before he made a dive. We always tell people to smell their air before using it. Experienced divers always do that. If John [Hanselman] had smelled his air, he wouldn't have had a problem."

A lawsuit represents only one side of a matter in dispute. Water World will have a chance to present its side in court later.

The suit says that Hanselman, a certified diver, was preparing for an open-ocean dive with friends and associates in the summer of 2002. As part of the preparations, he had his scuba tank filled at Water World and undertook a practice dive in a swimming pool, according to the suit.

While in the pool, Hanselman developed a headache, lost strength and became disoriented, the suit adds.

Hanselman later learned, according to the lawsuit, that the air he purchased from Water World contained 380 times more carbon monoxide than standard air, 100 times more hydrocarbon gases and six times more carbon dioxide, along with a high concentration of methane.

Water World is accused of negligence for, among other things, allegedly failing to properly maintain the air compressors used to fill scuba tanks. The store also negligently failed to test the air sold to Hanselman, the suit contends.

1-cdnnhs11311.gif

this is why you always tell your clients not to talk to the press:

"The air we sold Mr. Hanselman was extremely malodorous," said Katzenmeyer. "It should have been smelled before he made a dive. We always tell people to smell their air before using it. Experienced divers always do that. If John [Hanselman] had smelled his air, he wouldn't have had a problem."

I could see how the other gases could get into a tank, but how do you get methane in a scuba tank without putting it in there yourself.

Using my imagination, someone would have to be draining CNG (BBQ gas) tanks next to the compressor, or somehow get the air lines confused with the gas lines.

Is there some chemical reaction that happens that could produce methane gas?

Where is Mr. Wizard when you need him?

cmalinowski:
Does anyone smell their air before they dive???

I usually crack the valves to blow out dust from the valve and the regulator. It's just a brief shot of air, so it would have to be really bad before I smelled it.

I take a few breathes after setting up my tanks to make sure everything is working. Hopefully, I would notice it then.

A point was made on the wreckmaniac board that if one person got a bad air, there would have been a bunch with bad air.

this sounds fishy.

If it was that bad, how could he breathe it long enough for it to make any damage??

cmalinowski:
Does anyone smell their air before they dive???

PADI used to instruct divers to crack open the tank slightly and smell the air. I do it SOP now but I guess this is no longer in practice (or in vogue)? The practice also assumes one's nose is sensitive enough to pick up carbon monoxide (exhaust gases).

Mark,

I'm with you. Something doesn't add up. If the gas was that bad, you'd think he'd be vomiting soon after he ever hit the water. Also, a number of people would be victims.

I usually take a few breaths off my regs prior to splash, but it is more of a helium and regulator ops check.

DiveGolfSki:
PADI used to instruct divers to crack open the tank slightly and smell the air. I do it SOP now but I guess this is no longer in practice (or in vogue)? The practice also assumes one's nose is sensitive enough to pick up carbon monoxide (exhaust gases).

Carbon monoxide is odorless.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom