PADI Dry Suit Class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

D_B

Kimber/TekDiveGirl storyteller and memory keeper
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
This is a report of the class I took for my drysuit .. I've read here many times that if you have a mentor , it's no big deal to learn a drysuit .... my thoughts on that after taking this class is that he better be a darn good one.

DB

PADI Drysuit Class (plus all optional training)

1st pool session ... 3 people + instructor, Ian Martin

Weighting was to be 6lbs more than what each used for wetsuit diving (wanted us heavy) and we were to only use BC at surface, deflate BC and use drysuit under water for buoyancy control so as to only monitor one device and keep task loading down.

We first went over the answers we gave for the questions in the PADI Drysuit book, with the instructor asking questions about them and setting up scenarios and talking about our responses to them, and adding his own.

We suited up and checked each other pre-dive check, carried our gear over to the pool and put BC/tank into pool first, ourselves jumping in after ... instructor stressing that we should get air out of suit before jumping in and that we should try to keep head from going under to lesson stress on zipper and neck seal.
In pool without gear or fins to demonstrate that in just a drysuit your buoyant , and without fins your pretty helpless ... we then donned our gear in the water and descended to bottom (10ft)
NOTE: each drill was demonstrated to us first, then we did them.
The first drill was to demonstrate that inflater can not fill suit faster than it will vent, IF your in the proper position
... Fin pivots (did poorly, floaty feet & fins)
.... practiced hovering, then swimming, then stopping to a hover (buoyancy was OK, but couldn't stay still when hovering, feet were twitchy cause I could not get stable)
... then feet up, head down hovering to show that just having air in feet does not change your buoyancy, only your trim
... then we practiced finding and removing inflater hose on the count of three
... then practiced recoveries, we float over to instructor, he holds BC, pushes inflater for the count of three, then tips you feet up and lets you go .. rolling and bending at waist, while kicking hard (not good, went to surface several times, once one of my neoprene wetsuit boots that I was using as "rock boots" inflated enough to have foot come out leave me stranded with boot/fin flopping on surface upside down (instructor just watches you, waiting to see what you'll try, and if you can come out of it, then discusses what you did, or did not try) ... Instructor said that technically after one pool session we could do the OW dives now (not that he would let us, he was just pointing that out) he asked if I felt ready to go in the ocean .. I just laughed at him .. no way!

2nd Pool Session ... 4 people + instructor

Buddy checked gear
I had tank lower by about 12 to 25mm to get feet down (steel HP100) practiced fin pivots (yay, I can do them well now)
Practiced descents , horizontal, not to hit bottom, (needed to add lots of air to stop decent, can tell I'm heavy)
... more swimming, matching instructors depth changes, and hovering when stopping
... suit inflater removal drills
... more recovery practice, with inflater removal ( once I got both feet to come out of boots, leaving me stranded on surface , I struggled, helpless and then thought about using the last ditch, tangled in kelp, I'm out of air, recovery method .. use a knife to poke a hole in your suit legs to let the air out! :laughing: (talked to me/us after, inflate BC to get horizontal) I had to get out of pool to fix my feet/boots , then ran out of time at that point because pool closing.

... I learned that the boots I was using are in no way suitable for a drysuit (seasoft stealth) them being made of neoprene, they can expand when inflated, allowing my feet to come out .. I went and got proper rock boots!

3rd Pool Session ... 2 people + Instructor

We practiced more inflater disconnect drills, then coupled them with suit inflated/feet up drills .. went to surface several times again .. instructor said to us that we were not reacting fast enough, don't wait there after he inflates suit, kick hard right at the count of three when he lets go ...we then practiced the hard part, while wearing all cold water gear, gloves, hood, we were going to practice pulling open neck seal along with the feet up/stuck inflater drill, said that he will not pass us unless we can do this without reaching the surface ... when we tried it again I was very much better, kicking hard, I immediately rolled on right side while disconnecting inflater, bend at waist, get head up, pull open neck seal, level out, return to instructor while reconnecting inflater hose .. I did that 4 times without ever getting close to surface and 1 time actually stopping in front of instructor hovering without ever touching bottom .. passed the hard part!

.................... Ocean Dives .........................

1st Ocean Dive ... 2 people + Instructor .. to Wreck Alley 15 minutes off coast

First dive was on the 366ft Destroyer Yukon, laying on port side, Depth 98ft , Viz 25ft

We geared up and went in, practiced gear removal and donning on surface, then descended line, stopping at 20ft to recheck buddies, gear, then descended and gathered at forward turret, went down to sand to practice fin pivots (as planned) I was horizontal whole time on decent, hovered just above instructor as he signaled fin pivot to us, I floated down in front of him and did them for 1 minute .. we then swam around with instructor making depth changes (10ft changes .. 85 to 75ft) that we were to follow, at one point dipping head down off edge of deck and watching us closely to see .. what what we did (to see if we had respect for head down) how we did it and watching for any problems ..we went up at the line at about 24 min when we ran out of NDL time .. slow ascent, stopped at 40ft, 30ft, safety stop at 20ft .. debriefed on surface interval

2nd Ocean Dive .. 2 people + Instructor (didn't lose anyone LOL )

El Rey ... kelp cutter, Depth 75ft, Viz 20 to 30ft

We descended line, stopping at 20ft to buddy/gear check then collected on wreck, Ian tied off a line and we went around the deck, then off to the side, inflater removal drill, then back across deck out to about 30 ft off starboard .. we practiced hovering and at one point instructor pointed at line, then back toward wreck and signaled "see" .. very dimly you could see a darker area, no way would you know that's the wreck without knowing that it was .. at about 23 minutes we returned to our starting point and ascended the line back to the boat, debriefed .. discussed why he ran the line and the reasons to use one .. you can get lost from ascent line on an unfamiliar wreck, current can whip up and we were off the wreck with nothing to hold on to (except the line) if it did kick up.

Great dives, great expereance, with my good friend and Instructor, Ian.
... he will not pass you unless he thinks you will be a safe diver, and thereby have fun diving, stay in the sport and be a good shepherd for our oceans.

This class was a real eye opener and I never would have thought that a drysuit could be so challanging in an emergency, or that the training would be so important .. get it.

BTW .. I passed! ... and he even came here posted and said I looked "very good" out there! :cool2:

(I bet I've forgotten something, but it may be more telling of the quality of instruction by what I do remember)

DB

Last edited:
Great report D_B. Sounds like a quality instructor.

Great report - thanks for sharing.

Much, much, much better drysuit course than what I got (or wasted time on)!!

Henrik
(severely tired of blowing $$ and feeling I don't have much to show for it)

Great report - thanks for sharing.

Much, much, much better drysuit course than what I got (or wasted time on)!!

Henrik
(severely tired of blowing $$ and feeling I don't have much to show for it)

Do some checking here on the board about instructors before hiring one. Check their background and get recommendations. Never just blindly go with an instructor simply because they say they are qualified. It is your money, your life, and your training. :)

That sure isn't the same 10 minute pool drill watched someone get.

Was this a paid class or complimentary with the purchase of a suit?

Pete

Thanks DB. Now my only problem will be finding a good instructor locally.

Art

Not that big of a problem.

Just print the report and show/tell your instructor,that this is what you want/need.

:D

btw looks like it can be done,a good drysuit course.:cool2:

Quick instructor checkout when you buy a new drysuit usually equals not so great experience. PADI Intro to Drysuits ok if you are already an experienced diver. If you take the full specialty course you will probably get something similar to the OP (as I did).

Wow - a lot more comprehensive than my drysuit specialty class (1 instructor, 2 students). We had no class session or review of the the KRs from the book, and only one pool session. I don't remember what all we did, but I don't remember it being a great deal of stuff. Then we went out and did the open water sessions - which were also not a big deal.

So good job!
nd

Back
Top Bottom