Naui master diver vs divemaster water skills?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JDMerk

Contributor
Reaction score
Ive looked on the NAUI website and wasn't able to find it...but for all the instructors here: What are the water skills requirements for master diver vs divemaster? I'm in a master diver class and have heard from other students that our instructor is testing us to the divemaster standards...and adding a few of his own. This is fine, but I would like to know what the actual requirements are for the cert I am working towards.

At least in the PADI program, A Dive Master cert is a Qualification. A Master Diver card is a Congratulation for taking 5 courses.

The NAUI program looks like you do a bit more. But even in NAUI, with a minimum age of only 15, how much do you think a Master Diver rating is respected?

A NAUI Master Diver and a PADI Master Diver are not close to the same thing and you cannot draw any conclusions about one from looking at the other.

The NAUI Master Diver class (the first difference, there is no PADI Master Diver class) includes 23 hours of academics and 8 open water dives. It requires a rescue dive, a deep dive, a navigation dive a search and recovery dive and a limited viz or night dive. The other three dives are electives.

The NAUI Dive Master class includes 20 hours of academics (but has already completed 13 in the AI class which is a prerequisite) and must complete 10 dives with specific skills not mentioned in the standards for Master Diver, but other than organizing and being in charge (including giving dive briefings), there's nothing in the requirements that are outside what I would expect one of my entry level students to be able to do.

NAUI instructors are allowed to add requirements to classes over and above what the standards specify.

At least in the PADI program, A Dive Master cert is a Qualification. A Master Diver card is a Congratulation for taking 5 courses.

The NAUI program looks like you do a bit more. But even in NAUI, with a minimum age of only 15, how much do you think a Master Diver rating is respected?

Thanks for the input that the cert I am working towards isn't respected, but that isn't what I asked.

The NAUI Master Diver certification is respected by those who know what it is. It is not respected by those who don't know anything about it and equate it with PADI's program with a similar name.

I stand corrected.

I looked over the PADI and NAUI programs and they are vastly different.

But it is not that I don't respect your training, it is that I will, or will not, respect your experience after that training. Its what you do with it, not what it is.

The requirements as stated in the above posts look good. Once you get them go diving, then dive some more, after that do a few dives. Do your dives in as many places and under as many different conditions and environments as you can.

Only then will you be a Master Diver.

Basically, a NAUI Master Diver cert has the same requirements as the NAUI Divemaster, without the teaching elements. As a matter of fact, if a divemaster or instructor from any other agency wishes to cross over to NAUI, they must first take and pass the NAUI Master Diver exam.

As Walter so aptly pointed out, the NAUI Master Diver is very well respected by those who know what it entails.

A NAUI Master Diver and a PADI Master Diver are not close to the same thing and you cannot draw any conclusions about one from looking at the other.

The NAUI Master Diver class (the first difference, there is no PADI Master Diver class) includes 23 hours of academics and 8 open water dives. It requires a rescue dive, a deep dive, a navigation dive a search and recovery dive and a limited viz or night dive. The other three dives are electives.

The NAUI Dive Master class includes 20 hours of academics (but has already completed 13 in the AI class which is a prerequisite) and must complete 10 dives with specific skills not mentioned in the standards for Master Diver, but other than organizing and being in charge (including giving dive briefings), there's nothing in the requirements that are outside what I would expect one of my entry level students to be able to do.

NAUI instructors are allowed to add requirements to classes over and above what the standards specify.

Walter,

I have always been a little confused about the difference between the two. I have never advanced beyond AOW but I was thinking that for the PADI Master Diver rating, you had to take 5 specialty courses, pass of course, and then you "get the patch" so to speak. So there is no real course to take for Master Diver but you have to pass a series of courses to "get the patch/card.

So in the NAUI Master Diver rating, do you still have to have 5 specialty courses behind you and then take an actual class that is a Master Diver class with classroom and dives as a part?

If that is the case, then I can see how the Master Diver rating for NAUI may be thought of as a higher standard/rating than the PADI one because you are still taking specialties AND another course to boot.

Am I correct in my thinking?

Walter, thanks for the reply. But from my OW class I remember the minimum requirement for us was to swim 250 yards non-stop, 25 yards underwater, tread water for 15 mins, etc. So are there any for master diver? Are they different? What are the requirements for Divemaster and/or AI?

Wouldn't it be nice If someone would start a thread with all the requierments per,
cert,
agency.
Not a disussion thread but just a info thread for the new wannabe divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom