Dry suits and Catheters...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SharkWhisperer

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Ok,
I've gotten quite accustomed to my new dry suit, and with the help of several of you here, have figured out the plumbing, so to speak....
Now I have a question, that makes me a little uneasy....but, who else to ask, right?
Ok..
I made the mistake of entering condom catheters into my google search, which of course returned with a million suggestions.
What I'd like to know is, are there any types that you guys (sorry ladies) have used, or tried and can make some recommendations. Either web or brand would help.
I really have no idea what would work best, and quite frankly had no idea there were so many choices, from "Texas style" (whatever that means) to "super comfort 1000".
I'm truly lost...
I mean for pete's sake....I'd walk into CVS and ask for them if I had any idea what to ask for...this is not like picking up a pack of trojans for a saturday night and making eyes at the female checker when I was 17......:D
Any info about a particular style or some direction would be much appreciated....and let's just pretend we're talking about this over beers.....LOL.

This thread might help you - it has helped male buddies of mine with their p-valve setup.
The Deco Stop (you need to register to read if you are not already a member)

I think Rochester wide band has been the consensus from friends.

Edit: Oh and one think I hear people complain about a lot is how it hurts to take off the cath because of the glue. For a female cath, you need adhesive wipes (like Allkare) to get it off. I think these would work well with guys as well so I am not sure why guys tend to just have a warm shower and rip it off when there are much easier ways. Though maybe that is just the people I know :)

What I'd like to know is, are there any types that you guys (sorry ladies) have used, or tried and can make some recommendations. Either web or brand would help. ... I mean for pete's sake....I'd walk into CVS and ask for them if I had any idea what to ask for...this is not like picking up a pack of trojans for a saturday night and making eyes at the female checker when I was 17
Hey, little boy, wanna see some dirty pictures? :) Seriously, try these:

Rochester Medical UltraFlex Self-Adhering Male External Catheter, 32mm Intermediate.

They come in different sizes, with 29mm Medium and 36mm Large being the sizes on either side of this one. I suggest starting with the 32mm Intermediate. Any pharmacy that sells medical supplies should be able to supply them, plus they are certainly available on line. They will cost about $1.25 - $2 each, although in bulk quantities (e.g. box of 100) they are less.

Also, if you haven't already gotten an irrigation syringe, to flush your P valve after each dive with water, Listerine or vinegar, look for a BD 60cc syringe with a catheter tip, also available at most medical supply stores.

yup, thirding rochester widebands. i think everyone i know uses them.

be sure to manscape first. consider a beard trimmer.

and don't try one on, then immediately take it back off. bad plan.

I think Rochester wide band has been the consensus from friends.

+1 on Rochester, and the recommendation to do as much "man-scaping" as possible prior to using them.

They come in different sizes, with 29mm Medium and 36mm Large being the sizes on either side of this one. I suggest starting with the 32mm Intermediate.

And here's a key piece of advice: Always keep at least one of the largest size condom caths available (40mm) in your save-a-dive kit. This way when someone forgets to bring one you can say "Here dude, I've got an extra..."

The look on their face when they come out of the head after "trying it on" is priceless. Not to mention the new-found respect they'll have for you...

:eyebrow:

I'm truly lost...
I mean for pete's sake....I'd walk into CVS and ask for them if I had any idea what to ask for...this is not like picking up a pack of trojans for a saturday night and making eyes at the female checker when I was 17......:D

You actually can get them in a really well stocked drugstore sometimes, but they'll really nail you on the price.

The link Meng_Tze posted is about the least expensive I've seen.

The Rochester Wide Bands stay on really well. The other brands I've tried tend to come off at inopportune moments.

Also, you can use a feedback form on the Rochester Medical site and ask for samples in an assortment of sizes that you think might be in the right range. It's important to not get one that's too big because it will tend to come off as well as be uncomfortable where there's extra plastic stuck together, and you don't want to get one that's too small because it will restrict flow on your "hose" (not the one that came with the valve :D).

http://www.rocm.com/reqsamples.php

Although all this seems a little weird at first, there's absolutely nothing like being able to drink all you want anytime you want and not worry about having to "hold it" during the dive.

Terry

I think it's even funner to have a 22mm on hand for a loaner.... bugger won't even fit on most pinky fingers.... LOL!

no, you put *those* on your buddy's dashboard...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom