Master Scuba Diver Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Elkfriend

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey Folks,

I am trying to figure out if I should get the Padi Master Scuba Diver Certification, so I was wondering what you guys think...

I am currently rescue certified, but coming up to the 5 required specialites plus have the logged dives - in other words I satisfy all the requirements.

Question: Is the Master Scuba a "real" course (where I actually learn new skills etc.)? If so, what is the content?

Or is it basically just a "title" confirming all of the requirements, but no added content? If so, why would anyone pay for this?

Any insights welcome!

Thanks !

Hi Elkfriend,
Master Scuba Diver is a recognition that you have accomplished 50 dives, OW, AOW, Rescue, and 5 specialties.
There is no course or test that goes along with it.
Having the Master Scuba Diver card is a reward, like a documented pat on the back!
Some people love it, others have no use for it.
If you want to continue your PADI dive education, think about becoming a Divemaster. You will learn a lot and be challenged along the way!

Just to offer an alternative, NAUI's master diver is a complete course going much more in depth on equipment, physics, physiology, and skills. To my understanding it was designed with the intent of giving a diver all of the skills and knowledge of a divemaster or instructor except for the leading/instructing.

why would anyone pay for this?

Good question. Because they're badge collectors and like giving money to PADI?

I posted a similar thread on the certification agency Q+A, not sure where my question is better

The answer is the same

The only difference between someone with a PADI MSD "certification" and someone with 50 dives, Rescue & 5 specialties is that the former is $50 poorer

I agree with the above posts. But...life is short, if you want it, get it. I am 2 specialty courses from Master, and will probably get it..eventually!

I am trying to figure out if I should get the Padi Master Scuba Diver Certification, so I was wondering what you guys think...

I think very poorly of it.

Question: Is the Master Scuba a "real" course (where I actually learn new skills etc.)? If so, what is the content?

No, it is not a real course.

Or is it basically just a "title" confirming all of the requirements, but no added content? If so, why would anyone pay for this?

Yep, just a title. Hmm as to why people would pay for it, I don't know. Might help with the ladies? The ones that don't know anything about scuba that is?

I have an SSI Master Diver card that I got for 'free' when I did my Rescue course (as I had all the other requirements). Probably the cost was built in to my course so probably would have preferred to get a cheaper course... and no card :)

And with the courses you that can count towards it, it is cheapened even more. You can do specialties that will not reallt improve your skills or knowledge of dive theory and still have the same card as one who took Deep, UW Nav, Search and Recovery, Drysuit, and Peak Buoyancy. All of which if taught well will increase your skills and knowledge of dive theory.

But if you put that much money and time in they should just give you the card anyway. There are agencies that teach an actual Master Diver course that is really a leadership level course without the teaching part. Theory, free dive skills, rescue, decompression, more indepth physics and physiology as well as dive skills to demonstration level. All substance and little or no fluff.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom