Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 33 of 41 FirstFirst ... 232829303132333435363738 ... LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: Neat Little Tricks Are Good to Know

Registered

is all about wa.

Dives
    I just don't log dives
    Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhumbline View Post
    Not only can I, but I always do. Either my gear or my body is slightly heavier on the right side. I always dive with 1 lb more in the left pocket. Believe it or not that 1 lb means the difference between a nice, even trim and constantly waving my right hand to stay level on a dive.

I think it's because someone opened a tank valve in my left ear once and blew away about a pound of inner ear.
    That's interesting. I wonder if lopsided buoyancy is common.

When I dive in tropical water with my SS backplate, AL80, and no suit, I use 4 pounds of lead, because zero is not enough and two 2-lb weights is the minimum available. My ideal weighting might be 1, 2, or 3 lbs, but no dive op seems to carry 1-lb weights.

Has anybody got a favorite solution for this?

isn't going to set a status.

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    You could carry an oversized knife from the 1970s. Mine's gotta be a pound or two negative.
    knfmn likes this.

Registered

G-Rated

Dives
    25 - 49
    Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Boswell View Post
    That's interesting. I wonder if lopsided buoyancy is common.

When I dive in tropical water with my SS backplate, AL80, and no suit, I use 4 pounds of lead, because zero is not enough and two 2-lb weights is the minimum available. My ideal weighting might be 1, 2, or 3 lbs, but no dive op seems to carry 1-lb weights.

Has anybody got a favorite solution for this?
    A single 2 lb wt on a belt? Center it on back or belly?

OR

Carry a 1 lb shot weight with you when you travel?

Registered

is all about wa.

Dives
    I just don't log dives
    Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by aquaregia View Post
    You could carry an oversized knife from the 1970s. Mine's gotta be a pound or two negative.
    Ha Ha! I used to have one years ago, but never found a use for it.

I like to travel with everything in carryons, and we often dive in protected areas, so knives are usually not welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by SC_Hoaty View Post
    A single 2 lb wt on a belt? Center it on back or belly? OR Carry a 1 lb shot weight with you when you travel?
    This might be the only option... Or those V weight pouches that fit in the center groove of a backplate. 40303 XS Scuba Highland "V" Weight Pouch

Registered

wonders whether Schrödinger
    liked having pets

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    A single 2 lb wt on a belt? Center it on back or belly?
    @Mike Boswell: Put the weight on the belt and anchor it to your tank where it promotes the best trim.
    A weight belt with a plastic buckle weighs very little and it can be worn on the hips or anchored onto the tank. I leave one in my save-a-dive kit.
    Ear Equalization problems? Check out Dr. Kay's Ear Lecture for Divers.

What would you do? ScubaBoard has a "What if...?" series geared for beginner divers.

Registered

G-Rated

Dives
    25 - 49
    Photos
    Tuck the one pound soft weight in your Speedo and be "popular"

Registered

Master Scuba Diver Trainer

Dives
    2,500 - 4,999
    Photos
    Oh gosh, I hate to follow good recommendations from SC Hoaty. My suggestions are:
    1. wear a wetsuit. I always wear a 3mm in the tropics. When doing 3-5 dives a day this translates into extended dives due to reduced air consumption and not feeling as tired at the end of the dive day. If it ain't 98.6 degrees you are losing body heat. That should take care of about 2- 2lb weights.
    2. Use an ankle weight around the tank valve
    Durward Ankle Weights (1 Pair)
    Of course, following up on SC Hoaty's recommendation, an unclipped ankle weight in your speedo will make you very popular.
    Life is Good (Diving is Better).

Registered

is all about wa.

Dives
    I just don't log dives
    Photos
    Tuck the one pound soft weight in your Speedo and be "popular"
    This should also help with the new TSA pat-down inspections.

asj
    Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    50 - 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Boswell View Post
    a 3lb imbalance will be noticeable, but a 1lb imbalance isn't. I suggest you try 5lbs/4lbs instead of 6lbs/3lbs.
    When hiring gear, I've never been on a boat that offered anything but 3lb weights. I have my own 1lbs weights and that's the ticket.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    500 - 999
    trick from a Brit coldwater diver:

1/. Don't get in the water without a dsmb and reel (you call them safety sausages) After 100yds the boat really cannot see you in any swell - especially with a trendy black hood...

2/. Mark the line on the reel at 3m (10ft) 6m (20ft) and 9m (30ft) using permanent black marker - one mark for 3m, two marks for 6m and 3 marks for 9m- that way if your computer fails you can send up your dsmb marker and still know reasonably accurately how deep you are.

3/.smash up an old hard drive - the disk inside makes a great emergency reflector that doesn't degrade in salt water - lets hope the sun shines if we get lost at sea - not much chance in the uk lol!

4/. when you take your mask off- pull it down around your neck - that way you don't lose it or step on it when it pings off your head.

safe diving all!