Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 37 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2732333435363738394041 LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: Neat Little Tricks Are Good to Know

Divemaster
    Badge

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    500 - 999
    I've taken the trouble of memorizing my CC #, exp date and security code.
    Yes, a bit of a pain, at first, but it pays off. No searching for the wallet when I'm online, you truly 'never leave home without it'.

Registered

Needs to get wet

Dives
    200 - 499
    For single divers who fear bieng left behind

I have a large orange plastic sign that I put on my second tank that reads:"If you can see this I am not yet on board". As soon as I climb back on the boat I take this off the tank and put it in my bag and then repeat again on the second dive. Its not flawless because if you do not make the taking out and placing it on the tank as part of your routine I can see that it is something that can work against you. Either way it becomes a conversation peace and makes it less likely that I will be forgotten.
    Bigd2722 and fjpatrum like this.
    If I should die please do not let my wife sell my dive equipment for what I told her I paid for it

Registered

has no life.

Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig66 View Post
    For single divers who fear bieng left behind

I have a large orange plastic sign that I put on my second tank that reads:"If you can see this I am not yet on board". As soon as I climb back on the boat I take this off the tank and put it in my bag and then repeat again on the second dive. Its not flawless because if you do not make the taking out and placing it on the tank as part of your routine I can see that it is something that can work against you. Either way it becomes a conversation peace and makes it less likely that I will be forgotten.
    What a great idea.I keep thinking about that movie.

It won't happen to my with the local ops because they know me so well, but I have been out a number of times where some new face was found to be missing only after roll call.

When my daughter attended a surf camp in middle school, I was a PIA the first day with the instructors so they would remember that asshole father and presumably his kid.
    Tim
    "They called themselves Guerrilla Divers.
    Composed of elite divers with Macho mentalities, back when men were men, and FEAR was a lispy companion of the common Man. It was a time before insurance liabilities, lawsuits or beauracratic regulation of the "sport". Guerrilla divers didn't need "Buoyancy Compensator Vests". In fact, "Anyone who needs a BC deserves to drown" was a popular adage. Exploration and the Hunt came first, excitement and fun followed. Safety was the stepchild of fitness, good reflexes and a cool head.
    This was a time of great Adventure."
    www.sfdj.com

Registered

Needs to get wet

Dives
    200 - 499
    Quote Originally Posted by Splitlip View Post
    What a great idea.I keep thinking about that movie.

It won't happen to my with the local ops because they know me so well, but I have been out a number of times where some new face was found to be missing only after roll call.
    Thanks. I guess there are lots of ways to be memorable but one has to make sure that it is in a positive way so that there is no incentive to leave you behind LOL
    If I should die please do not let my wife sell my dive equipment for what I told her I paid for it

Registered

has no life.

Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig66 View Post
    Thanks. I guess there are lots of ways to be memorable but one has to make sure that it is in a positive way so that there is no incentive to leave you behind LOL
    Agree! lol
    Tim
    "They called themselves Guerrilla Divers.
    Composed of elite divers with Macho mentalities, back when men were men, and FEAR was a lispy companion of the common Man. It was a time before insurance liabilities, lawsuits or beauracratic regulation of the "sport". Guerrilla divers didn't need "Buoyancy Compensator Vests". In fact, "Anyone who needs a BC deserves to drown" was a popular adage. Exploration and the Hunt came first, excitement and fun followed. Safety was the stepchild of fitness, good reflexes and a cool head.
    This was a time of great Adventure."
    www.sfdj.com

Solo Diver

would rather be diving

Dives
    100 - 199
    Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by ti325v View Post
    Hi Elmer, While i appreciate your input...You may notice that I am an instructor and I own a dive shop...and average about 700 dives a year. I own eight DIN regs, and not counting my shop stuff 6 yoke regs. I deal with the set up and take apart of about 12 sets of gear a day, ( Very conservative) that`s about 7,000 times a year. So in my experience of roughly 35-40,000 set ups in my diving career. I believe I am aware of any remaining gas in the systems....and usually I do not dive an spg but AI....not a lot of residual gas in that sending unit...Is this a daily problem....no, it has happened four or five times. Have I ever found the cause ? No, have I bled the tanks empty to remove all possible pressure from the system...yes..with that additional information, if any body has a suggestion as to why I would experience this periodic lock up of a din system, it would be useful..
    Thanks.
    Dissimilar metals reacting to cold/heat differently would be my (inexperienced diver) reply. In my other world its something I've used extensively. (freezing bearings and heating the mounting before dropping a bearing into place.

Registered

is Addicted

Dives
    500 - 999
    I keep a few unused doggie poop bags in my dive bag. I put them over my feet as socks before putting on the wetsuit. My feet slip right through the suit and out the leg holes, where I pull off the "plastic sock" and hand it to the guy next to me who is usually saying, "Wow, let me try that!" I can put my wetsuit on in half the time.

Neat simple little trick you might like.

Registered

Needs to get wet

Dives
    200 - 499
    Quote Originally Posted by SurferRyan View Post
    I keep a few unused doggie poop bags in my dive bag. I put them over my feet as socks before putting on the wetsuit. My feet slip right through the suit and out the leg holes, where I pull off the "plastic sock" and hand it to the guy next to me who is usually saying, "Wow, let me try that!" I can put my wetsuit on in half the time.

Neat simple little trick you might like.
    Lycra socks work great as well and you can keep them on so that you do not get any chafing and blistering with booties or full foot fins. Took my Lycra socks on a liveaboard and a fellow diver wanted to pay me $200 for a pair of $10 socks as he was blistered up after just 3 days if diving

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    here is a trick I came up with when I borrowed someone's drysuit that was a size too big for me. For those who have boots on their drysuits that are too large for their feet. And as you know, nothing more annoying than that feeling that your feet are going to pop-out of your drysuit boots while diving. Wear a pair of rubber flipflops inside your socks (yes, need large socks and flip-flops that are not much bigger than your feet). Gives a tight fit during the dive but you can easily pull your foot out of the sock after the dive.

Registered

never cared
    for "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by Sas View Post
    Marking off spools each metre and then doing a different colour line at each five metre mark (i.e. each metre has one black stripe, at 5m you have one red stripe, at 10m you have two red stripes and so on) is very handy for navigation and measuring viz.
    I like it

I've only just recently purchased my first reel & SMB, and I think I will mark it as you suggest!
    currier