Nitrox O2 analyzer - do I need one

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jtpwils

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm taking a Nitrox course and reading the book before the class starts. It indicates I need to analyze the O2% to verify the contents myself. What is the usual method; do I need to buy an analyzer or do you just borrow one where it got filled? Thanks.

No, you don't have to buy one. Where ever you get your tanks filled or rent from will (or should) have an analyzer for you to use. Of course, the onus is on you to personally analyze the O2 percentage and record that percentage and the MOD on a sticker/tape/etc on the tank.

If they don't have an analyzer and they say "trust us. It's right", leave the building immediately...without the tank(s) :wink:

If you intend on diving Nitrox, YES you need the analyzer. Do you really want to trust someone else's equipment?

Most I've seen on boat don't own an analyzer.

If you intend on diving Nitrox, YES you need the analyzer. Do you really want to trust someone else's equipment?

Why wouldn't he trust someone else's analyzer? The analyzer at the dive shop or whereever you get your tanks better have one. If it is calibrated correctly then I would suggest that it is probably as accurate as anything else that is hooked to the tank. After all, you do trust the compressor, purification system and O2 tanks to get your EANx don't you?

Is it nice to have your own analyzer, absolutely. Is it needed, no. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

Last edited:
Why wouldn't he trust someone else's analyzer? The analyzer at the dive shop or whereever you get your tanks better have one. If it is calibrated correctly then I would suggest that it is probably as accurate as anything else that is hooked to the tank. After all, you do trust the compressor, purification system and O2 tanks to get your EANx don't you?

Is it nice to have your own analyzer, absolutely. Is it needed, no. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

I dont care what your opinion is, rsk your own life I dont care.

Its nice to own one, but its not the end of the world if you don't. Analyzers are a verification of whats in there (ie you request 32%, the analysis should come within 1% of the target percentage). Its not the other way around (request "nitrox" and check to see what it is). If you use this method, its ok to use another person's/shop's analyzer.

I made my own for about a hundred bucks. Oxycheq.com has a little kit called the "El Cheapo". It took me almost no time to make it, and it works great. Plus, you get to learn how analyzers work.

Its nice to own one, but its not the end of the world if you don't. Analyzers are a verification of whats in there (ie you request 32%, the analysis should come within 1% of the target percentage). Its not the other way around (request "nitrox" and check to see what it is). If you use this method, its ok to use another person's/shop's analyzer.

I made my own for about a hundred bucks. Oxycheq.com has a little kit called the "El Cheapo". It took me almost no time to make it, and it works great. Plus, you get to learn how analyzers work.

I think people dont realize its not a huge investment if you look.

I agree with Lead carrier. you'll probably want your own at some point in your life but I also agree with the above - don't ever, ever, under ANY circumstances not analyze yourself and not calibrate before analyzing. It makes no sense. I travel the world and have been places that don't have analyzers so like I said you'll want one if you do but shops in the US and major dive areas should have them. I can't emphasize it enough - no matter how much crap someone may give you and all the "trust us" BS...if they don't have an analyzer or you can't analyze, don't dive that gas. Period.

I think people dont realize its not a huge investment if you look.

Agreed. For the price, it's not worth the risk for ME. I only make my decisions for me.
In your course, you will learn to calibrate to a known source (the air we breathe, for example) then check your gas.

I bought one for less than $200 and it's pretty popular. Keep your eyes out for a sale or check with guys like Mike @ DiveRightInScuba or Wayne at Amigos Dive Center and they can probably give you a good price on a new one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom