Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Nitrox O2 analyzer - do I need one

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    25 - 49

Nitrox O2 analyzer - do I need one

I'm taking a Nitrox course and reading the book before the class starts. It indicates I need to analyze the O2% to verify the contents myself. What is the usual method; do I need to buy an analyzer or do you just borrow one where it got filled? Thanks.
    "Anything is possible when you don't know what you are talking about."

Registered

awake.

No, you don't have to buy one. Where ever you get your tanks filled or rent from will (or should) have an analyzer for you to use. Of course, the onus is on you to personally analyze the O2 percentage and record that percentage and the MOD on a sticker/tape/etc on the tank.

If they don't have an analyzer and they say "trust us. It's right", leave the building immediately...without the tank(s)

Registered

Has a status but isnt
    telling it.

Dives
    500 - 999
    If you intend on diving Nitrox, YES you need the analyzer. Do you really want to trust someone else's equipment?
    Some see the cup as half empty. Some see it as half full. I see the cup as too big......George Carlin

ScubaBoard Supporter

Go Red - Support SB!

Trying to stay out of trouble

One kilometer high on the Texas High Plains
    Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    Most I've seen on boat don't own an analyzer.
    You can test the tanks you breathe or - dive on hope.
    Testing is safer...

Great news for vacation divers who cannot talk themselves into buying a personal CO tank tester!

>> Rent one for a week or longer here <<

Yeah it's just the air we breath - at depth!

Scuba Instructor

Just following along
    behind the little animals..

Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Carlisle View Post
    If you intend on diving Nitrox, YES you need the analyzer. Do you really want to trust someone else's equipment?
    Why wouldn't he trust someone else's analyzer? The analyzer at the dive shop or whereever you get your tanks better have one. If it is calibrated correctly then I would suggest that it is probably as accurate as anything else that is hooked to the tank. After all, you do trust the compressor, purification system and O2 tanks to get your EANx don't you?

Is it nice to have your own analyzer, absolutely. Is it needed, no. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.
    Last edited by Lead_carrier; September 24th, 2010 at 12:00 PM. Reason: spelling
    Sir Barfalot likes this.

Registered

Has a status but isnt
    telling it.

Dives
    500 - 999
    Quote Originally Posted by Lead_carrier View Post
    Why wouldn't he trust someone else's analyzer? The analyzer at the dive shop or whereever you get your tanks better have one. If it is calibrated correctly then I would suggest that it is probably as accurate as anything else that is hooked to the tank. After all, you do trust the compressor, purification system and O2 tanks to get your EANx don't you?

Is it nice to have your own analyzer, absolutely. Is it needed, no. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

I dont care what your opinion is, rsk your own life I dont care.
    Some see the cup as half empty. Some see it as half full. I see the cup as too big......George Carlin

Registered

Sir Silts-a-Lot

Dives
    5,000 - ∞
    Its nice to own one, but its not the end of the world if you don't. Analyzers are a verification of whats in there (ie you request 32%, the analysis should come within 1% of the target percentage). Its not the other way around (request "nitrox" and check to see what it is). If you use this method, its ok to use another person's/shop's analyzer.

I made my own for about a hundred bucks. Oxycheq.com has a little kit called the "El Cheapo". It took me almost no time to make it, and it works great. Plus, you get to learn how analyzers work.

Registered

Has a status but isnt
    telling it.

Dives
    500 - 999
    Quote Originally Posted by PfcAJ View Post
    Its nice to own one, but its not the end of the world if you don't. Analyzers are a verification of whats in there (ie you request 32%, the analysis should come within 1% of the target percentage). Its not the other way around (request "nitrox" and check to see what it is). If you use this method, its ok to use another person's/shop's analyzer.

I made my own for about a hundred bucks. Oxycheq.com has a little kit called the "El Cheapo". It took me almost no time to make it, and it works great. Plus, you get to learn how analyzers work.
    I think people dont realize its not a huge investment if you look.

Single Diver

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos
    I agree with Lead carrier. you'll probably want your own at some point in your life but I also agree with the above - don't ever, ever, under ANY circumstances not analyze yourself and not calibrate before analyzing. It makes no sense. I travel the world and have been places that don't have analyzers so like I said you'll want one if you do but shops in the US and major dive areas should have them. I can't emphasize it enough - no matter how much crap someone may give you and all the "trust us" BS...if they don't have an analyzer or you can't analyze, don't dive that gas. Period.

Single Diver

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Carlisle View Post
    I think people dont realize its not a huge investment if you look.
    Agreed. For the price, it's not worth the risk for ME. I only make my decisions for me.
    In your course, you will learn to calibrate to a known source (the air we breathe, for example) then check your gas.

I bought one for less than $200 and it's pretty popular. Keep your eyes out for a sale or check with guys like Mike @ DiveRightInScuba or Wayne at Amigos Dive Center and they can probably give you a good price on a new one.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast