Handling down current

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cricfanSD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I will be diving in Taveuni, Fiji next month and I have heard the mention of down current in Somosomo strait few times. I dive in Monterey for most of the year(around 100 dives) and have some warm water diving experience when I have traveled to Asia and Australia(30 dives). I don't like strong current since it is quite difficult to manage with camera and strobes.

a) So the question is when do you encounter down current ? I believe the effect of down current should be limited to 20-30ft horizontally from the edge of a wall.
b) How do you detect you are in down current ? Is it fast change in depth without any reason ?
c) What precaution do you take when diving Nitrox where the MOD is around 105ft ? I really don't want to test my limit of O2 toxicity in these waters :wink:
d) What is the effective way to handle this situation along with a buddy ?

Oops the word is "downcurrent" not "down current" in the search string it seems. Thanks.

Oops the word is "downcurrent" not "down current" in the search string it seems. Thanks.

No worries, glad to help. Some are listed under downwelling as well and there are a couple of other threads on the topic that I couldn't find. That should at least get you started. Feel free to come back with any questions!

Also look under "downwellings" or "down welling"

c) What precaution do you take when diving Nitrox where the MOD is around 105ft ? I really don't want to test my limit of O2 toxicity in these waters

Seriously reconsider if nitrox is a proper application in your series of dives. It is the single most over-used tool in most dive bags.

I use Nitrox only on Multi-day trips multiple dives all around 65-70 mins. I am sure I can dive air with my profile but gives one additional level of security when the chamber is typically 12 hrs away.

Back
Top Bottom