Cheapest place in asia to do IDC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is 'cheapness' your only criteria for choosing an IDC?

I am sure you could find some washed out, alchoholic Staff Instructor who could run the course on the back of a fag packet, in a week... for less than $100. Chances of passing the IE would probably be around 0.5%..... :wink:

Hopefully you will have more than 99 dives before you do your Dive Master never mind your IDC

im almost up to 300 dives, with alot of wreck mapping deep dives,so how about help with a answer rather than comment on the fact i dont update my profile daily, i have been a DM for over a year

I Got Bent in Phuket is where the majority of the instructor's on contract with the military shop here went through. I have heard nothing but good things about their customer service, thoroughness and everyone here recommends them. My husband is looking at going through them if we stay here much longer. I don't know how the price compares to places like the Philippines. Worth a look tho. Good Luck!

Hi MIBZ,

You get what yu pay for so I would not always go looking for the cheapest option, as there is always a reason why something is cheaper than anything else.

My approach would be to look a who runs IDCs in the region, what are their pass rates and ask other instructors who have recently been through the course with the dive shops you are looking at.

Searcaigh, so if i find the most expensive school in the word i will get better training, that statement is so wrong, and i thought i was asking other divers right now?

I can't give advice on the 'cheapest' IDC centre, as I've never investigated them on that criteria.

If you want some recommendations on 'best' IDC centre, then I know a few on the east coast of Thailand. Check out:

Crystal Dive Centre, Koh Tao (I did my IDC there... 10/10)
Bans Dive Centre, Koh Tao
Aquanauts, Pattaya

I am sure someone else can recommend some good centres on the west coast.

I'd question the motives of someone going for the cheapest IDC!

Why not do the sensible thing, do some research on the course director, send some emails THEN decide where to go?

It is always a challenge to find the really good value.

Depending on where you go there are travel costs, accommodations costs and meal costs to factor. Plus, depending on why you are becoming an instructor or where you will end up working, some of the additional training after the IE might be best done as a package (IDC, IE, MSDT Prep?).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom