Exposure gear for Open Water Stdents in Cool (cold) Water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivemasterDennis

DivemasterDennis
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Tis the season here in Colorado for our "Open Water Weekends." We have our students do their open waters ( for many levels and specialties) at a local resevoir that is niow about 64 degrees F at the surface and 60ish at 25 feet. With time those numbers will rise to the high 60's, but no higher. Most of our students will be in a 7 mil farmer Jane/John wet suit with top. Some have full foot fins, others boots. The issue- to hood or not to hood? Its an option for students, but should we require them? I wear a hood because I am in the water for several hours each day, but by August I won't use it. Any opinions or experiences to share?
DivemasterDennis

Just an opinion, but I think requiring hoods, especially if you charge rental fees, is just going to make your customers unhappy- at least until they actually get in the water and feel cold. I would "highly recommend" or "require with the option of no use means no rental charge" or something like that. I wear a hood in 70+ degree water because I get cold that easily. I wear the same hood in 40ish degree water because it's enough (with about 8 more layers of neoprene on my core).

You just can't convince some people they're necessary until they experience the difference.

We did our dives with about 70 surface and 58 at 20-25ft. Our class was dressed in 3ml suits with a 3/5 hooded vest, boots of course and gloves optional. Some of the skinny small people did get very cold. One had to surface and sit out the rest of the day. However most everyone else while they thought it chilly at times didn't have an issue.

I have a 2ml beanie that I used this spring in the pool when the water was 68-74 and it helped prevent my head from being cold and having a headache. Hood can provide lots of warm and keep my neck from getting stiff.

On the other hand one lady in our class hated the hood and felt very confined by it. She was pretty cold without it but refused to put it on for the later dives. For myself I didn't like doing the mask removal with the hood, it just got in the way and worked my anxiety up a little.

Best idea... make them optional with a suggestion as to which way to go. :)

Reactions: D_B
At those temps. I personally would not require a hood, but wear one anyway just to keep water from going deep in the ears. Sidenote-- our LDS here does OW classes as early as late April with temps. still around 40F if that--students in 7 mil farmer johns doing skills. I wonder if that's a good idea, and a good way to get one's first experiences.

Dennis,
Im not a dive pro but if I were I'd insist on a hood in your situation.
The reason would be to make sure that the students were comfortable with a hood on and that they can do mask flood,clear replace with the hood on. Divers who then proceed to warmer waters will find mask removal a lot easier if they are doing referrals. I may have it wrong (and if I am mistaken I apologise in advance ) but I think another poster (BoulderJohn ) has said that quite a few trainees in your neck of the woods go on to do referrals in Cozumel, Cancun etc.

Include the hood in your wetsuit rental charges if you can. Tell the students to wear the hood during the first dive just to train with it, after that then it'll be up to them on future dives. If they were a bit chilly with the hood on, then they'll be freezing with the hood off.

If your students go into cold water diving or tech diving, they'll need to wear a hood. And if there's jellys in the water, a lycra hood would be good idea for basic protection. Just remember to remind your students to brush away hair and tuck their mask skirts under the hood when their doing mask drills. This may add more stress into a mask clear, so be sure to tell your students that they need to remain calm and get everything squared away before they begin clearing their mask.
Getting used to skills with a hood on makes them a whole lot easier if you eventually go with no hood.

A hood is part of our rental package so I always include one. Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.
On dive one I will have them put their face in the water without a mask or hood just to get acclimated to the temperature. They will know soon enough if they will want to wear one or not.

Just a thought on this topic, I would either include it in the rental (without an increase on the fee) or bring a few with me to let them use if they do get cold (free). Some people do not know how their bodies will react to exposure while submerged. I would err on the safety side and be concerned of my fellow diver's health and well being, it is better to get a full day of diving then, calling a dive to treat for hypothermia. To show concern for students early in their diving brings many more benefits in the future.

People dive Blue Hole down in New Mexico every day with no hood and water slightly colder than the reservoir your speak of. (Aurora I am guessing) I can see no good reason to require anyone to wear a hood, gloves, vest, or other extra thermal protection, although I dive both sites and wear a hood almost every time. That is my choice. My wife chooses not to wear a hood because she feels claustrophobic in one, but she does not dive cold water very often.

The shop I started diving with here in CO almost always brings hoods and vests in a large plastic tub each time they conduct classes. This allows the students to choose what thermal protection they need, and prevents them from having to decide what they need before they reach the dive site. They do not charge for use of these items.

Many folks get certified up here only to dive warmer waters for the rest of their time as divers. I agree with making the gear available to them during their certification. Those who choose not to wear the gear will either be fine with doing four short dives in those conditions, or get cold enough their first time out to change their mind on later dives.

At that temperature I would be wearing a hood esp after extended time in the water. I don't know if I would make it mandatory, but I would recommend it. You can always take it off if you are too warm. If you're too cold and don't have it because you're trying to save a few bucks, then it's going to be a long dive. I think OW students at that temp should have a hood to have the experience using it even if for only one dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom