Kayaks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scotthowes

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I'm looking at kayaks to dive from that have good tracking and decent speed .I will use it in lakes and rivers.A Ocean Kayak looks to be an option because stowing gear and stability but speed and tracking might not be there.oR A 2person like a Old Town Dirigo tandem.Any sugestions?

I'm a big fan of using a tandem kayak for diving. A single is too cramped for me and you lose tracking. I use an older hobie oddysey without the front seat hooked up and all my gear up front. My buddy uses a new hobie kona (one person) and if i had to have a single that would be it.

2011-06-26 09.52.52.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks.thats what Iwas thinkinking.do they have a good glide?

Take a look at the Wilderness System's Tarpon 140 and 160. I've been diving from a Tarpon 140 for a number of years and I like it a lot. This boat is good for speed and tracking. The 160 is a bit faster. These boats also have a rudder option. (Which I don't use, by the way.) There are some modifications and add ons that you have to do, i.e. get rid of the bungee over the tank well and replace with straps, but you'll have to do the add ons with any kayak you get.

Go to TopKayaker.Net: Welcome! Guidance & Gear For Kayakers for a lot of suggestions for rigging your boat to dive.

Good luck, and have fun.

I think that you should check into surfskis...19 feet long, weight about 40 pounds, you can paddle one at 7 mph or faster for an hour ( if you are aerobic :) ) and in big ocean waves offshore, you can run down the wAVE FACES and average more like 12 mph !

The issue for divers is that surfskis are tippy. While you can have one made with a tank well behind you, you would really need a pontoon option for the stability required to put gear on while sitting on the boat. Adding an outrigger and a pontoon could be an add on once the boat is at the water, and would not need to weigh much, or slow you down.

Here are some shots...surfski1.jpgkayak-out2.jpg

If storage is a big factor, look at Malibu Kayaks. They make several sit-on-top models with huge hatches. I use a Pro Explorer and am pleased with it. Several of their models have adjustable aluminum foot-pegs, rather than molded in foot wells. I don’t like foot pegs for diving because they stick out where you pull yourself aboard creating a place for gear to hang up and impale yourself.

Thanks.thats what Iwas thinkinking.do they have a good glide?

I'd say excellent glide. Hobie tends to be a bit pricey but they're well worth the money in the long run, especially since they're so modular. As you can see in the background my buddy fabricated a sail for his hobie kona (saved a ton by doing it himself) and its a single so its light. I like mine because it's longer (better tracking) and fits more stuff. I just put my rig up front and my mesh bag in front so all my loose stuff can be stowed away next to me.

I'm using an Ocean Kayak Scrambler XT which is all I've ever used so far and it seems to work OK. I've never used anything else so I don't know how it compares.
The scrambler has a 350 lb capacity and I'm sure it was the best back in it's day, but I'm looking at the new ocean kayak which is a little longer, wider, and has a 450 lb capacity. It has a huge tank well big enough to set doubles in it looks like, probably designed for a cooler. It also has pole holders for anglers so it even could be used to fish for Salmon when they come in close. I'm looking for something that I can put a second tank on so I don't have to come back to shore to change tanks and I think this might be the ticket.

I would recommend the tried and true Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro TW (Tank well). Double kayaks do not work very well for diving off of.

Why do you say doubles aren't good to dive from? My yak works great!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom