Preferred redundant buoyancy when diving wet?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Max Speed

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My normal wetsuit (FJ 7 mil) compresses enough below about 80' that I cannot swim up without leaving something heavy behind on an empty (simulated failed) wing. That is tested with just enough weight to ensure descent and a safety stop with an empty wing.

My thoughts on redundant lift:

A) An SMB has the purge valve too high for a controlled ascent.
B) A lift bag without a purge requires a goofy bag pipes style purge on the way up which is difficult to control.
C) A 50lb lift bag with a purge near the top works pretty well and is my choice.

D) Anyone just send up a lift bag and climb the line? That makes me nervous because once the bag is reeling the line out it's pretty much gone if the reel tangles/jams and you have to let go. Plus that skinny line is hard to climb....

How much lead are you diving?

My FJ 7mil is my preferred redundant buoyancy - all I have to do is shrug out of my BCD and (physics assures me) I am bound for the surface. Normally however I also have an SMB with at least 100 ft of line.

A and C.
I was told to practice (A) in a swimmimg pool by my instructor(trimix).
Never practiced it at depth though.

Removed my whole post. It didn't really address the original question.

Last edited:
If I'm diving open water with heavy steels and a wetsuit, then I'm going to have at least two lift bags with me. One to use for signalling and one is available for alternate buoyancy in the event of a complete wing failure. I'm going add just enough air to the bag to remain neutral and I'm going to keep a hold of it, rather than shooting it to the surface and climb the line.

The exception to that is if I'm doing a drifting deco with a marker bag. In that situation then I'd probably choose the climb the line route.

Reactions: BKP
I would NOT dive "Deep", in a thick wetsuit, especially with heavy tanks. It is a formula for disaster...this is drysuit teritory.

If you will not/can not, use a dry suit, and MUST use the thick wetsuit and MUST do deep dives, then use tanks that are not terribly negative.....then use of a Halcyon style lift device Surface Markers and Lift Devices | Halcyon Dive Systems will allow you to fill a little, easily, then dump air as needed...moreover, once you reach the 30 foot depth area, you should be able to let go of the bag if your are getting too positively bouyant....

Personally, I would consider this a major convolution--very bad gear choices causing ridiculous convoluted ideas to have to be added togther to supposedly keep things working.
Any dive I have ever done in water 75 degrees down to 45 degrees, to depths of 300 feet, I could swim my self up to the surface without the wing( bc) inflated.

Maybe the solution for thick wetsuit divers who want to use heavy steel tanks, would be to tie a strong line on to a RAFT OR KAYAK, and tow this like a dive flag...at some points, potentially hooking off to the bottom where conditions permit...then, you could always go hand over hand to the surface, :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom