Dealing with down currents

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TwoBitTxn

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I know I have read information on how to deal with a down current, but doing a search I cannot find anything

So,

How do you recognize the start of a down current?

How do you deal with one while you are in it?

How do you get out of one (preferably alive)?

I know Coz has periodic issues with down currents. So does the Galapagos. Any where else?

One thing I would say after reading that story is, the solution is in her post. She was diving near a wall. Down currents are usually found near a wall or similar structure. Although it may seem counter intuitive, it is better to get away from the wall. Generally the downcurrent will get weaker the further away from the wall you get.

I have felt down drafts along the wall and even a bit away from the wall where there's somewhat of a 'sand chute/stairway' in between high profile coral walls. It's characteristic of a rip tide. Scary sensation, but know you can swim away from the wall into the blue and the down sensation goes away, then you can ascend safely to a spot without the draft. And if you're already on top of the wall and the current is pulling you out to sea, don't swim opposite direction of the current, swim perpendicular until you pass whatever the water is ripping through.

To know you're in one you check your gauges regularly regarding depth. Or notice the change bylooking at a point of reference. I have a little pet peeve with divers who don't look at their gauges often enough (wrote about it in fact in The Scuba Snobs Guide to Diving Etiquette). Part of being a good diver and a safe diver is being aware of where you are, how long you have been there, and if you need to move- especially to shallower venues. The comments above are all excellent, to which I will add a few obvious ones- step one, kick up to get out of the current; step 2, if kicking alone isn't making it, inflate your bcd to get some lift, but control your ascent rate as you were taught back on day one of your training; as you move, move across and away from the current- as noted above, that usually means away from the wall if there is one; and, step 3, in an extreme case where the current is so strong that an inflated BC and kicking like hell doesn't work, drop weight. Perhaps most important of all, be aware of conditions before beginning a dive through checking with the locals and as appropriate the coast guard or equivalent authorities, as prevention and avoidance is best. Finally, take evasive action at the first indication of a down current, however slight, if you are in "bottomless" water.
DivemasterDennis scubasnobs.com

I know I have read information on how to deal with a down current, but doing a search I cannot find anything

Here ya go, just posted this in another thread. Also, added many more to the Tag Cloud for easy searching. Information below.

Are there dive destinations or dive sites where down currents (or other currents) can be so severe that divers should be warned and maybe think twice before attempting such dives? The recent incident in Cozumel involving very experienced divers come to mind.

Are there dive destinations or dive sites where down currents (or other currents) can be so severe that divers should be warned and maybe think twice before attempting such dives? The recent incident in Cozumel involving very experienced divers come to mind.

Cozumel seems to be among the highest instances of reported down wellings here on the board.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom