Told My Jedi Master I'm Ready for 200' - need to start preparing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wavetrain75

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
He's been to 850' on rebreathers a few times and routinely does 400. I'm nowhere near that but I'm ready to shoot for 200 on open circuit.

I'm looking for a good deal on a drysuit. Wouldn't hurt to have a cold water reg. Any good quality off the shelf reg or something else? Aside from the obvious what are the details? Double tanks, what size? Two computers? Three computers? Seventeen computers? Bailout bottle? What else?

Right. Sorry for asking questions.

To the OP,
It's hard to tell from your post whether you are being serious or not. Since your profile contains little information a lot of people will find it difficult to answer your post.

As just a recreational diver I'm not qualified to answer you but it might help if you could state why you wish to dive to 200 feet.

Your jedi master who routinely dives to 400fsw has the answers or he ain't much of a master. Seriously your next step should be focused around 150fsw, a advanced nitrox and deco procedures course and my personal favorite some helium. An alternate path would be a intro to tech long weekend and pile of cash or a cc with no limit after you see all the gear you will need to buy.:rofl3:
Eric

You had a few questions in your post. You should spend some time searching on each one and then maybe ask more specific questions. Maybe start with drysuit diving first, such as buying one and diving it a lot before looking into the other parts contained in your post.

Based on your questions, you have a way to go before you start diving to 200 ft. I'd focus on safely diving to depths much shallower than that first.

You have a lot to cover within the three lines of your post. Just take it one small step at a time. Further training will cover many of the things you are curious about. Meanwhile search of some of these things.

Your Jedi friend might not appreciate you revealing the existence of a Jedi order.:no:

-Mitch

Last edited:
I'm curious who your Jedi Master is it's a small pool of people who have gone to or below 800ft and several of them are dead.

"Only eight (or possibly nine) persons are known to have ever dived below a depth of 800 feet (240 m) on self contained breathing apparatus recreationally.[8][9][nb 6][10] That is fewer than the number of people who have walked on the surface of the moon"
(reference - Deep diving - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Your questions indicate a distinct lack of knowledge on the subject. If you were in anyway ready (or even suggest it) you'd have a fair idea on the answers already and completed some serious study and tech diving courses (where you would acquire the knowledge). If you have a mate who has gone to 800 ft then he'd also have a very very broad knowledge of whats required to get to 200 ft where him and his support team would dive to regularly, maybe you should ask him.

Check out this link about diving to 90m on air (Youtube yuri lipski) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eejQPUyeNiY&feature=related http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9hn8JXliE

Last edited:
Usually it is the other way around, Jedi Master will tell his/her pupil(s) that he/she/they are ready to progress to the next step.

Most of us all have our own motivations as to why we dive and what we want to accomplish. I do it to relax and see stuff of interest being marine life and vegetation as well as wrecks and underwater structures. Some other folks will do it to explore caves and caverns, some do it for a living (at various levels from a ''pro'' perspective or as a commercial diver). Notwithstanding our own motivation, the one thing we have in common is the process...we generally all look at the final or intermediate goal(s) we have in mind and then explore the different paths that could get us there. So...what is yours for wanting to dive to 200ft beside just a mere number???

Most agencies have webpages you can consult and those will provide you with not only the various courses they do offer but also the path they want you to follow to get there. It is up to you to choose which one you find yourself more atune with. Somebody mentionned AN/DP...this will get you down to 150 ft, extended range will get you to 180 ft, Trimix...200 ft, Advanced Trimix...330.

So for sure there are paths that will get you there. Discuss the issue with your Master, pick a path and the steps to follow and set-up intermediate goals because somewhere along that path, money and I mean serious money will be required to sp training, equipment and gases. Once this is done then you will only have to use the Force to get you there.

1. I have virtually no knowledge of tec diving. My objective here is to get to the point that I can ask informed questions. For this conversation I am ignoring my last 15+ years of rec diving and listening to those who are more experienced.

2. The shop owner (Jedi Master) was a Navy diver for many years. He was not down there to look at the fish, he was down there to blow things up. The wikipedia list says nothing about military diving.

3. He lives 120 miles away so this forum is more accessible than he is, especially for causal beginner discussion.

4. Thank you in advance for your patience, this is a new road for me and I'm looking forward to hearing what you have to contribute.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom