Emergency bailout strategies for recreational diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DaleC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
The following is just my practice for recreational diving posted for discussion sake and not intended to be advocated for anyone elses use.

I often solo dive and part of my dive plan is having a bailout strategy both for action and equipment that I can follow should the need arise. Ordinarily recreational diving, by its definition, allows for direct accent without stops (unless you are pushing the NDL's) but I find this to be a too general "one size fits all" concept.

Along with his half pressure theory, I remember reading Haldanes thoughts (I can't remember the source but I'll link it if I can) that a diver could ascend up to, but not cross, two pressure pressure groups without incurring DCS. Crossing two PG's however was to be contraindicated. This made sense to me yet it also bugged me because in recreational diving it is quite possible to do everything "by the book" and still easily violate that measure. I looked at my style of diving and adapted some strategies as a result. I do basically two types of solo dive; shallow (< 50-60' for the duration) or deep (100'+ for a portion with a multi level ascent).

Following Haldanes concepts, I decided that if I am doing a shallow dive and need to bail I will plan to ascend directly to the surface (making a stop at 10-20' if possible). In this case I don't usually take an alternative air source as no catastrophic equipment failure will prevent a safe ascent from that CESA viable depth. In practice I have had to do this only once when I was still recovering from some sort of bronchitis and a big flem wad got stuck in my throat and I decided to ascend rather than try and pass it through my reg.

However, if I do dives that drop below 50-60' I no longer plan a direct ascent to the surface (crossing two PG's) but rather plan a direct ascent to aprox. 50' where I will stop and re evaluate my situation. This stop is akin to a deep stop for recreational depth limits and allows the effects of narcossis to lessen for proper situation evaluation. It's alsovisibly lighter (which is a factor in the PNW) and a CESA is also viable from this depth. My bailout plan is not to stay at max. depth to solve a problem if I can help it but rather to move up to my rally point (as it were) and do so there. Also, because a direct ascent is no longer relied upon as a course of action I carry a redundant air source (usually an Al40 or independant doubles). In practice I have also only had to do this once when a case of vertigo struck me at 100'. Feeling quite unstable I quickly ascended to 50' and held my position there. In that case the symptoms resolved themselves and I continued the dive at that depth.

Anyways, just some thoughts. Does anyone else have a bailout strategy that they use recreationally that varies from the "direct ascent to the surface with a 3 minute SS" rule?

I start with an ascent strategy. It's generally 30 fpm to 1/2 maximal depth (or average depth, if they are close) and then 10 fpm thereafter. My gas reserve is planned so that I can get two divers up from the deepest part of the dive and make all those stops. My buddies use the same planning.

When I am diving with people who I can rely upon to maintain those reserves, or whom I don't trust to be able to execute an air-sharing ascent with stops, I either bring along a buddy I CAN trust, or I dive doubles, and provide myself with adequate redundancy.

Only in the multiple failure scenario of total gas loss and no buddy available, would I alter my ascent strategy.

Reactions: Jax
My awakening was simmilar to yours. Once I determined that a direct ascent from say 100fsw was sanctioned by the agencies, my reading into deco theory and gas laws sent me running and screaming for redundant gas in the form of a slung al 30 for anything deeper than a shoal at 30fsw.
My plan is very simmilar to yours in execution, get shallow, evaluate the issue, continue ascent.
Eric

Good topic, Dale.

My ascent strategy is similar to yours on solo dives ... except that I have a shallower floor when diving without bailout. Sometimes I'll make an exception, based on conditions or circumstances, but for the most part anything deeper than 30 feet requires me to have some sort of gas redundancy.

When I dive with a buddy it's the more traditional approach of considering my buddy my bailout option. In those circumstances we'll always establish rock bottom pressures prior to the dive and stick to them. When I'm diving with newer or unknown dive buddies I'll make it a point to ask about their pressure when I think they may be getting close to their rock bottom.

Of course, diving sidemount generally alleviates all of that because I then have my own bailout available at all times ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

No Andrew but I just sent you a pm.

Yes WP, even though the tables (PADI Air anyways) are supposed to be padded for safety I still find the direct ascent model a little clumsy. For example; a stay at 90' for 21 minutes allows for a direct ascent but a stay of 22 minutes requires a manditory SS. One also crosses 3 PG's in the process. I wonder how many recreational divers consider this when doing longer/deeper dives. I can remember covering the basic concepts of grey areas and black NDL limits in class but I don't recall any sort of discussion about how to alter ascent strategies as a result (in this sense). A stay of 1 minute and direct ascent at depth is also a lot different than a stay of 21 minutes at the same depth with regards to N loading and bubble formation.

I also used to try to directly import technical diving concepts into my recreational diving (techreational diving?) but have reconsidered, or refined my application of some of those concepts to fit the recreational model, too. One of them was solving my problems at depth. Of course there are times when one must solve their problems at depth recreationally but we are fortunate enough to not have that real or artificial ceiling to content with. As a result I prefer to ascend to a shallower depth if possible and deal with them there instead of attempting to rectify them deeper. This allows me the option of a CESA if it all does go south. I no longer put myself at an artificial disadvantage trying to over technify my approach when I don't have to.

Lynne, I agree with you about having your buddies on the same page and it is one of the real benefits I see in your style of diving. Thinking about bailout from deeper recreational depths when approaching NDL's really emphasizes the need for having a buddy that is close at hand and resposive towards your needs. Alot of the thinking above is generated by the fact that I solo dive routinely and thus cannot rely on that buddy in the same way.

Bob, we posted at the same time! Gotta love those independant doubles... I mean sidemount bottles :)

I forgot to add that the one exception to my shallow water strategy is if I am diving in an area where there is high boat traffic (thus creating a possible ceiling). Then I fall back on my deeper strategy as far as redundant airsources are concerned.

Last edited:
I might be wrong here, but I think Haldane's original numbers were something to the lines of "overpressure of 2:1 compared to ambient" for specific compartments. Atmospheres, pressure groups, and m-values are all different concepts.

Somewhat off topic...

I'm confused by this usage of the term "pressure group". I've always seen that term used to describe the residual nitrogen group found on the dive tables. I don't see how you could "swim through" such a group on ascent. I assume this is something different. Could someone provide me with an explanation, or a link to a description?

I might be wrong here, but I think Haldane's original numbers were something to the lines of "overpressure of 2:1 compared to ambient" for specific compartments. Atmospheres, pressure groups, and m-values are all different concepts.
As far as I can recall, Haldane did propose this; but IIRC, didn't Workman refine this to 1.58:1?

All the best, James

Edit: I guess we're both saying the same thing, Haldane simply used the 2:1 ratio for permissable ascent. "Pressure groups" for repetitive diving were from other work (and don't neccesarily reflect increase in compartment pressure in a linear fashon).

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom