Divemaster Internship, help advice needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bensold

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi guys,

Just joined the forum so this is all new to me!

Ok so I discovered scuba diving back in March 2011 and fell in love with it immediately, since passing my open water I have now done my advance and currently doing my Rescue diver qualification.

I originally started scuba as I wanted to take part in some sort of volunteer project involving marine conservation (basically ive been working in insurance for 10 years and needed a long break) I have 3-6months unpaid leave from work agreed so settled on a Greenforce expedition to the Bahamas. However I have since looked at reviews about this trip and although everyone claims to have a great time they all comment that the level of diving promised did not materialize. I also note the average age is 19-24 (im currently 30) so not sure if this is right for me.

I have since fell in love with diving and definitely want to do my DM but not sure which route to take.

So my question is this, does anyone have any advice, should I do a DM internship with the time I already have booked off? or maybe find another vol project to take part in? Has anyone done one they can recommend? does anyone have any opinions of Greenforce? I have the time off and money to spend (saved a long time to allow myself some time off) and as insurance is not where I want to spend the next 10years of my life I would really like to try make this into a career, well I say career I mean a lifestyle, even if its just for a few years.

Thanks for listening ALL comments welcome

Lou

Hey Lou,
I noticed your posting and wanted to give you some information about our training facility here in Bayahibe, Dominican Republic.

Our company, Endless Ocean Dive Academy offers training all the way to instructor including technical training also. Located on the southern side of the Dominican Republic we can offer some of the best diving conditions in the Caribbean with very affordable flights from the USA.

We can offer you a really nice rate on all training courses and accommodation, with transport to and from the airport. Our company has quality equipment that is available for all training with us and a nice training facility. In addition to our dive training, we also offer conservation activities and reef check and coral watch training. The diving here, is absolutely fantastic with a large variety of dive sites, caves and wrecks to explore.

It's important to mention that besides being a dive company we are also actively involved in conservation and the local community. We are in the process of establishing a coral regrowth station and training locals to dive and also in english education and invite all members of the local community to assist in our conservation / clean up activities.

Our website is under maintenance at the moment, but please feel free to contact me if you would like more information or media of the diving here (endlessoceandiving@gmail.com)

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Warm Regards,
Greg

Hi guys,

Just joined the forum so this is all new to me!

Ok so I discovered scuba diving back in March 2011 and fell in love with it immediately, since passing my open water I have now done my advance and currently doing my Rescue diver qualification.

I originally started scuba as I wanted to take part in some sort of volunteer project involving marine conservation (basically ive been working in insurance for 10 years and needed a long break) I have 3-6months unpaid leave from work agreed so settled on a Greenforce expedition to the Bahamas. However I have since looked at reviews about this trip and although everyone claims to have a great time they all comment that the level of diving promised did not materialize. I also note the average age is 19-24 (im currently 30) so not sure if this is right for me.

I have since fell in love with diving and definitely want to do my DM but not sure which route to take.

So my question is this, does anyone have any advice, should I do a DM internship with the time I already have booked off? or maybe find another vol project to take part in? Has anyone done one they can recommend? does anyone have any opinions of Greenforce? I have the time off and money to spend (saved a long time to allow myself some time off) and as insurance is not where I want to spend the next 10years of my life I would really like to try make this into a career, well I say career I mean a lifestyle, even if its just for a few years.

Thanks for listening ALL comments welcome

Lou

Hi, Lou!

I'm from the UK, and did the majority of my PADI training on internships in the Algarve, Portugal. The diving is good, although perhaps not as warm as you might expect :wink: and you'll find many varied resorts and towns to suit your preferred kind of lifestyle in the sun. Many of the centres there do DM Internships, and there are a few 5 Star Instructor Development Centres that will take you up to OWSI, too.

There are always going to be a lot of questions with regards to schedule, pay, accommodation and many other factors (I'm not aware of any 'standardised' internship), so your best bet is to have a chat with centre directors now, before the season kicks in. I won't be seen to be 'advertising' on here 'cos that's an obvious forum no-no, but I don't think anyone would mind if you PM'd me asking for further info if you're interested!

Lou - take a peek at the 'Going Pro' sub-forum. There's a ton of stuff there that relates to your different options for Divemaster training.

Welcome to the Going Pro forum!

This public forum is meant for all members who are interested in going pro.

Posting is reserved for Dive Master Candidates, future Dive Cons, Dive Professionals and those preparing for Pro level training.

How go I get recognized as a Dive Master Candidate?

Easy, just go to Quick Links >> Group Preferences and join the Dive Master Candidate group.

Please enter the following info with your application:
Type of course (DM/DC);
Instructor name, agency, number and contact info (if known);
LDS and contact info (where applicable).
Your application will then be processed to give you full access.

Hello

Thanks guys for all your replies, I will take a good look over the next week and PM you for further information, looks like I wont be short of options so now its just deciding on the best place to go for me.

Speak soon

Lou

Lou, just another thought:

Remember that the best place to do your Internship might not necessarily be the location offering the best diving environment and the most colourful fish! What I mean is, consider also where you would be happy to live for the duration of your internship, the quality of life outside of working hours, accommodation, etc - and that a destination that offers more varied and challenging diving conditions will probably make you a more rounded and, eventually, employable DM.

I can state that, even thought I initially thought I'd be a 'lowly intern', I was actually treated like an integral part of the staff team and, as my skills developed, my responsibilities did too - I wasn't confined to the classroom and the equipment cleaning... everybody did their bit of the grunt work and I was only limited by my enthusiasm and effort. For example, I expressed an interest in Boat-Handling and Gas Blending and negotiated for these additional courses to be included as extras to my training in exchange for additional work. Not pointing any fingers, but I have heard that this kind of treatment or opportunity isn't necessarily what's offered in every country! :wink:

When you work out where you'd like to be, see if you can seek out and chat to old Intern-graduates - get the inside scoop on
their experiences and opinions...

Lou, just another thought:

Remember that the best place to do your Internship might not necessarily be the location offering the best diving environment and the most colourful fish! What I mean is, consider also where you would be happy to live for the duration of your internship, the quality of life outside of working hours, accommodation, etc - and that a destination that offers more varied and challenging diving conditions will probably make you a more rounded and, eventually, employable DM.

I can state that, even thought I initially thought I'd be a 'lowly intern', I was actually treated like an integral part of the staff team and, as my skills developed, my responsibilities did too - I wasn't confined to the classroom and the equipment cleaning... everybody did their bit of the grunt work and I was only limited by my enthusiasm and effort. For example, I expressed an interest in Boat-Handling and Gas Blending and negotiated for these additional courses to be included as extras to my training in exchange for additional work. Not pointing any fingers, but I have heard that this kind of treatment or opportunity isn't necessarily what's offered in every country! :wink:

When you work out where you'd like to be, see if you can seek out and chat to old Intern-graduates - get the inside scoop on
their experiences and opinions...

Thanks for the additional info, I do think your right, doing the DM course in a place i feel comfortable and has good feedback on the course totally out weighs the actual 'cosmetic' appeal of a dive site, plenty of time to see all the pretty things the seas have to offer once im a qualified DM.

Any recommendations on dive schools feel free to PM me, ive got a pretty busy week in work this week but after that I plan to spend the next few weeks contacting centre’s to get a idea of what they can offer. I hope to settle on a course/dive centre by March so I can start booking flights etc (before I spend all my share save money that’s paying out in March) so any recommendations are more than welcome
04.gif

Heya Lou,

I did my divemaster course at Utila Dive centre in Honduras and couldnt recommend them highly enough fantastic course that went above and beyond the PADI standards and also offer free dives for life so long as your willing to help out with other divers carry tanks etc. Brilliant price and the staff couldnt be more helpful.

Back
Top Bottom