Would this work in a rescue situation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oldbear

Teaching Neutral Diving
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
A few weeks ago I was sitting on a dive boat between dives and noticed they had a plastic back-board strapped to the underside of their overhead cover’s frame. And this got me to be thinking…

I currently am taking a BSAC Dive Leader’s course. Also a few weeks ago, right around the time I spotted the back-board on the dive boat, we had a theory lesson on Emergency Operations. We discussed the various aspects of the different rescue procedures. One discussed was recovery of an unconscious diver and getting them out of the water and onto the boat (if parameters dictate that) as soon as possible. I also remember from my PADI Rescue Diver course the extreme physical difficulty it was to transport an unconscious diver from the water to the pool’s edge…at that time I could only wonder how much more difficult it would be to get them onto the dock or a boats or even worse in choppy sea conditions all under the umbrella of a real emergency environment. This is something I definitely could not do on my own for an adult and would need assistance.

So I am sitting on the boat and see this back-board and my wheels start to spin. What is the opinion of others on using a back-board to remove an unconscious person from the water?

I can see positives as it offers a stable platform to support the dive for any unknown injuries; gives rescuers a solid handle to grab hold of; the board itself can be used as a fulcrum on the boat/dock’s edge…just to name the ones that pop into my mind while I write this. The most glaring negative is the time element if the diver is not breathing, the board evacuation might take valuable time to set up.

Maybe this was covered in my PADI course; if it was I do not remember. I also plan to ask my BSAC instructors for their opinion. But for this forum I would be interested to hear what SB members have to say.

Thanks,

~ME~
:cool2:

With waves and other factors I think it would be very difficult to use it to get them out of the water, I think its more towards once you get them out of the water you can put them on it to stabilize the spine and once you get to shore it then makes it easier to unload the victim

A backboard is used to remove a diver/swimmer from the water when there is a suspected spinal injury. It takes at least two, but preferably more rescuers to stabilize the victim's spine, strap them to the board and then lift the victim and board from the water.

I learned the technique in lifeguard training. I can't recall it being taught in PADI Rescue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the Red Cross Lifesaving course that used to be required to become a diving instructor you learned two different techniques to get an unconscious victim out of the pool, both of which would work on a boat's swim platform. Here are a couple of current resources:

How to remove a victim from the pool

REMOVAL FROM WATER

We carry a 6 foot square piece of canvas that can be secured to cleats on the gunwale, passed under the victim and them brought back on board. By pulling this canvas in and permitting the prone victim to rotate, you can bring aboard a victim who is twice the weight of the rescuer(s). The same can be done with a length of line secured to two cleats and then passed under the victim and back aboard, but it is more difficult that way.

This talks about near the shoreline, but not really open water...I found it on E-How: How to Use a Backboard in Water | eHow.com

A back board is used to help pull a person from the water who has injured his back or neck and may be paralyzed. Using a backboard to remove a victim from the ocean is not recommended and can cause more damage to the head and spine. The backboard can accidentally flip or get taken away by waves near the shoreline.

My rescue class included getting a 200+ lb guy out of the water onto a dock, and we did it with a backboard. A bit interesting getting him onto it, but almost trivial to get him out of the water once strapped on. One to stabilize the board on the dock and two to strap, and it was a pretty simple task.

Myself, if I had the people to do it, I'd use the board in a heartbeat. If it was just me, then no way it could work . . . .

- Tim

The same can be done with a length of line secured to two cleats and then passed under the victim and back aboard, but it is more difficult that way.

Sounds like parbuckling which works great with a RIB or other craft if less than 1m above the water, but I wouldn't want to use it from a charter.

Yeah, I wouldn't use it on the QE2 either, so?

In my experience it would be fine as long as you had enough people and the sea cooperated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom