A great diver at 13

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VooDooGasMan

Contributor
Reaction score
I may be harsh, but I disagree.

1. Buddys too far apart
2. The dive carried on with defective equipment. The dive should have been aborted.
3. I don't care for spear guns, even less on scuba
4. Using the spear to prod the Moray, not good
5. Pretty bad buoyancy control considering how many times the rocks/coral were bumped into

Last edited:

To me it looked a little stage managed, but if it wasn't, some comments.

1. Buddys too far apart
2. The dive carried on with defective equipment. The dive should have been aborted
5. Pretty bad buoyancy control considering how many times the rocks/coral were bumped into

g1329255845255076346.jpg

Pretty sure his dad either trained him, or has done most of his diving development.

I'm with DD -- since I'll do that dive with a single tank and a buddy, I would not consider a loss of a pony bottle to be a reason to abort. (But I wouldn't have been carrying the pony in the first place, either.)

And I personally would have purged the pony reg to check it had a supply of air before swapping, but hey that's just me. :D

Perhaps this is more "meaningful"... I watched that video last night and thought

• re buddys too far apart - the kid got there really fast when dad signaled. It was too far apart for *my* comfort, but at least there seemed to be good buddy/situational awareness along with the distance.
  • the 13 year old displayed a level of comfort and calm in the water that isn't often seen in recreational divers
  • I thought the moray eel was handled well for being so aggressive - he made ME nervous! I didn't see it as harassment, I saw that as protecting Dad while respecting the eel.
  • I'm not going to fault the kid for not fighting Dad on the decision to continue the the dive - it was neither right nor wrong so why should he have have stood up against it? And you not caring for spear guns is just that, an opinion :)

Anyway, was impressed with the 13 year old! Had been thinking that last night and since I saw such a dissenting opinion from VDGM's post, felt the need to share.

Have a great day/week y'all.

1. Buddys too far apart
2. The dive carried on with defective equipment. The dive should have been aborted.

Perhaps this is more "meaningful"... I watched that video last night and thought

• re buddys too far apart - the kid got there really fast when dad signaled. It was too far apart for *my* comfort, but at least there seemed to be good buddy/situational awareness along with the distance.
  • the 13 year old displayed a level of comfort and calm in the water that isn't often seen in recreational divers
  • I thought the moray eel was handled well for being so aggressive - he made ME nervous! I didn't see it as harassment, I saw that as protecting Dad while respecting the eel.
  • I'm not going to fault the kid for not fighting Dad on the decision to continue the the dive - it was neither right nor wrong so why should he have have stood up against it? And you not caring for spear guns is just that, an opinion :)
Anyway, was impressed with the 13 year old! Had been thinking that last night and since I saw such a dissenting opinion from VDGM's post, felt the need to share.

Have a great day/week y'all.

Everything on here is an opinion. Not asking anyone to agree with mine, same as I don't always agree with other people's.

Simon you have a logical opinion for your dive awareness, I think that buddy is as close as you can monitor frequently, which when problem arose they were. Kido had a pony so with the dive awareness he has they were good, dump would now end dive with the supply from main tank kept in mind.

Moray is on a attack and some do that, again kido was not afraid and challenged it and all was good, more than likely moray wanted the booty that dump was carrying.

Buoyancy is the challenge in spearing as you go faster ascending and descending and lung buoyancy is used till you slow and see what change may be needed.

G11 that was the thing that brought my conclusion is kido did not stop trying to communicate problem, his last jest was to touch pony reg and when dump changed they were face to face for a safe and comfortable out come of reg change.

The real point I would like to get across is a 13 yr old diver has his witts and very calm that thinks very well and clear before moving on in the dive after several different instances.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom