Gear Advice - Scubapro X-Tek Form Tek Harness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

arthurmnev

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Not sure if this is the right spot for this question. So my apologies if its not.

I'm done with my basic certs and gong for a purchase of my first set of diving gear, so with that in mind, a few questions (feel free to blow holes in those :wink:

1. I'm looking at
Scubapro X-Tek Form Tek Harness with a single tank [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]doughnut[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] wing as most places that I'd go everyone dives with one tank and I'm pretty good with air (1700 psi single tank 40 minutes, ~65 ft). The rationale is that by going with a harness I can change the wing if double tank setup will be needed.

This specific harness, typically sells with steel backplate, I found a few places where sale is for harness only, and backplate is "optional", so I'm trying to figure out if it makes sense to go with steel or aluminum and some additional weights in the back. The thought pattern is that weights could be found at a resort or wherever else I might be going, while steel plate will add to airline weight trouble. The question is: would there be a reason why one should go with steel plate instead of additional pockets + locally available weights?

2. Is there anyone on this board that has good / bad experiences with this harness?

3. For octo, I'm thinking of Atomic Z2X for primary and Atomic SS1 or Scubapro Air II for secondary. I looked at Atomic B2, however, I'm not sure a swinging stage one arm warrants extra $200. Not to mention less moving parts fewer changes of things breaking.

4. Pony bottle -- in NJ (which is where I'm ) I believe it is mandatory, also, I like the feeling independent air .
a) are there any differences between them ...
b) does anyone know if those need to be specially declared during airline travel?

5. I'm thinking of
[/FONT]​
Scubapro Galileo Luna Dive Computer. User changeable batteries and wireless feed. Once again, does anyone have any good / back feedback on those.
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
Finally a weight related question:
With basic resort, jacket style BCDs I took 6lb worth of weight. The new setup will include 2 or 2.5 mm wet suit, so the weight will go up a bit, but not by much. If the hardness will come with 8lb steel plate, I might end up in a situation where I will not need to have any quick release weights. This begs a question: if I have neutral buoyancy without any additional weights, should I figure out a way to increase the buoyancy so I can get the quick release weights in place, so if something does happen I would have an effortless (i.e. non assisted) way up?

Thoughts? comments?

thx
[/FONT]

You should really give Wayne at The Scuba Connection a call at (908)359-1250. Give a call Monday. He is wealth of information. You can even test out gear in the indoor pool at his shop.

He knows New Jersey diving and set me up with a standard backplate and wing with a 40cf stage bottle which works perfectly for local New Jersey diving. I take my setup everywhere, less the tanks when I have to travel by plane. It packs very nicely for travel. Also you will want to look into a drysuit.

You are going to love Jersey diving. But I would take a wreck course and learn to use a wreck real.

Seriously, give Wayne a call. I'm so happy I did.

See you around soon,
Darren

Thanks for the reply. I'm looking into jersey diving, but my preference is warm water. I'm thinking of pony bottle for two reasons, one is to get through NJ laws if I do dive here, the second is to take it with me when I travel. Consequently, the bottle would need to be small enough to carry. As for carrying pressurized, I'm pretty sure airlines will balk at that (O rings giving way at lower pressure?) I was just looking for a confirmation on that. Realistically, i'm not sure how much help it would be at 80 or so feet. Perhaps slowing the ascent or giving me more time to get to my buddy.

I don't think there are any NJ laws regarding a pony. Most boats do require a separate air source because of the conditions we have locally. A small bottle won't cut it for Jersey. I dive the same gear whether I'm in warm or cold water. My avitar is me in Greece with my Santi drysuit and ss backplate and wing with about 8lbs total weight.
You will get some great opinions from great people from this board, but be sure to give Wayne a call. He has experience with all the major brands and a ton of knowledge.

I have a Atomic Zx2 and love it. I have regular 2nd stage for it and there is a lot of debate on the forums between normal 2nd Stage and an SSI. One thing you may want to think about is if your eventually going to purchase your own tanks, and if they are going to be DIN or Yoke. I bought mine a bit early and going to have to switch my 1st stage to a DIN (about $60 + labor).

No experience with the Tec Harness, but since I am looking at getting a BP/W I actually spent a lot of time with Tobin(Cool_Hardware52) from DSS. This man is a treasure trove of info and is more interested in making a better diver than a new customer. He normally hangs out in the BC section as well as his Mfg. Subforum here on SB.

1. I'm looking at
Scubapro X-Tek Form Tek Harness with a single tank doughnut wing as most places that I'd go everyone dives with one tank and I'm pretty good with air (1700 psi single tank 40 minutes, ~65 ft). The rationale is that by going with a harness I can change the wing if double tank setup will be needed.

This specific harness, typically sells with steel backplate, I found a few places where sale is for harness only, and backplate is "optional", so I'm trying to figure out if it makes sense to go with steel or aluminum and some additional weights in the back. The thought pattern is that weights could be found at a resort or wherever else I might be going, while steel plate will add to airline weight trouble. The question is: would there be a reason why one should go with steel plate instead of additional pockets + locally available weights?
I would recommend an aluminum plate for travel.
2. Is there anyone on this board that has good / bad experiences with this harness?
Yes, I just dove it in Key Largo during our Scubapro Platinum dealer meeting. It is an excellent choice for your needs.
3. For octo, I'm thinking of Atomic Z2X for primary and Atomic SS1 or Scubapro Air II for secondary. I looked at Atomic B2, however, I'm not sure a swinging stage one arm warrants extra $200. Not to mention less moving parts fewer changes of things breaking.

Go with the Scubaro AIR II. I would strongly recommend the Scubapro MK25/S600!
4. Pony bottle -- in NJ (which is where I'm ) I believe it is mandatory, also, I like the feeling independent air .
a) are there any differences between them ...
b) does anyone know if those need to be specially declared during airline travel?

I don't think it is law in NJ, but a pony is a great idea! No problems, just empty and take valve off.
5. I'm thinking of
Scubapro Galileo Luna Dive Computer. User changeable batteries and wireless feed. Once again, does anyone have any good / back feedback on those.
Excellent computer, but I would get the Galileo Sol for a little more so you can utilize the pony feature.
Finally a weight related question:
With basic resort, jacket style BCDs I took 6lb worth of weight. The new setup will include 2 or 2.5 mm wet suit, so the weight will go up a bit, but not by much. If the hardness will come with 8lb steel plate, I might end up in a situation where I will not need to have any quick release weights. This begs a question: if I have neutral buoyancy without any additional weights, should I figure out a way to increase the buoyancy so I can get the quick release weights in place, so if something does happen I would have an effortless (i.e. non assisted) way up?

Thoughts? comments?

thx
I think the AL plate would give you that option.

I have the galileo dive computer and its great. I download all my divers to my computer with it. Also I have the scuba pro MK25/700 reg setup and its GREAT. I try to dive warm water the most but get stuck diving the local lake alot LOL

Thanks. Good answers. I'll take a look at Scubapro octo's a bit closer.
I just got a laptop and realized how many syntax errors one can make typing on an iphone...

Oh, one more thing about the Atmoics, sometimes it MAY be kind of hard to find a LDS to repair them, so before you decide on buying the Atomics, make sure there is a LDS that can fix them, or a place to ship them to get them serviced.

Oh, one more thing about the Atmoics, sometimes it MAY be kind of hard to find a LDS to repair them, so before you decide on buying the Atomics, make sure there is a LDS that can fix them, or a place to ship them to get them serviced.

My shop actually pushed me to scubapro and atomic; though I will probably do factory service on the regulator as much as I trust LDS, I trust factory more, and since they have an option -- why not (hey its only my life support...)

Back
Top Bottom