leaking first stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jmneill

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Ok, made a mistake of selling of all my scubapro gear last year. Had to start this year cheap with a new mares MR12 T first stage. Got it on Ebay, so forget about the warranty. QUESTION: I just hookd it out for the first time and it is leaking a small amount of air out of the back of the first stage from under the black cove. I haven't dove it yet, so I don't know if it will stop when it hits the water. Any help?
Thanks in advance.

Ok, made a mistake of selling of all my scubapro gear last year. Had to start this year cheap with a new mares MR12 T first stage. Got it on Ebay, so forget about the warranty. QUESTION: I just hookd it out for the first time and it is leaking a small amount of air out of the back of the first stage from under the black cove. I haven't dove it yet, so I don't know if it will stop when it hits the water. Any help?
Thanks in advance.

Do you mean to say that you are planning to dive with a regulator that is obviously defective? The only regulator that I am aware of that "leaks" from the first stage under normal contitions is Sherwood. Your regulator needs repair before it is used.

Whenever buying a used regulator with an unknown or dubious service history, it's very wise to have it serviced before using it -- why risk having it fail on you at depth?

Regs should not leak, especially from the first stage itself.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Regulator is new in box. And do I plan to dive it? Yes. I am still looking for any help as to an actual usable answer on this.
Thanks again.

it sounds like a very similar problem to one I've just recently had. It is most likely the clamping seal between the diaphragm and the body is leaking. Highly recommended to take it in for servicing as when you hit the water this leak is not going to stop and will most likely result in a catastrophic failure of your first stage and free flow at a high rate.

DO NOT DIVE IT UNTIL ITS SERVICED

Regulator is new in box. And do I plan to dive it? Yes. I am still looking for any help as to an actual usable answer on this.
Thanks again.

Make sure you have a reliable redundant air source. Leaks rarely go away on their own. Many change little and very slowly. A few change rapidly to a major gas loss. If you know your regulator and are confident about how your problem is likely to progress, it might not be bad to finish a dive with such a problem. Heading off to start a dive with such a problem is not smart.

Make sure you have a reliable redundant air source. Leaks rarely go away on their own. Many change little and very slowly. A few change rapidly to a major gas loss. If you know your regulator and are confident about how your problem is likely to progress, it might not be bad to finish a dive with such a problem. Heading off to start a dive with such a problem is not smart.
Yes, I have decided to drive it to a service center and spend the money I saved by buying it online. Ironic, I really liked my Scubapro gear because the haven't sold out to online dealers, and the first time I step away from them I get bitten. lol Lessons learned....

New in box regs should not leak. New as in when was it new? At a minimum I would have someone who knows what they are doing remove the yoke assembly and take a look to see what is going on. I rebuilt an MR12 for a buddy a few months ago. Not much too them and easy to service. I don't have the manual in front of me now to see what could be going on and what specifically needs replaced, tightened, etc. And if I did I'd hesitate to give advice over the net to just anyone. If you know how to service regs in general it should be easy to determine. If not find someone local who does and spend a few bucks for them to take a look at it.

New in box regs should not leak. New as in when was it new? At a minimum I would have someone who knows what they are doing remove the yoke assembly and take a look to see what is going on. I rebuilt an MR12 for a buddy a few months ago. Not much too them and easy to service. I don't have the manual in front of me now to see what could be going on and what specifically needs replaced, tightened, etc. And if I did I'd hesitate to give advice over the net to just anyone. If you know how to service regs in general it should be easy to determine. If not find someone local who does and spend a few bucks for them to take a look at it.

Brand new, in box unopened. manufacture date of 10/11
I think it boils down to you get what you pay for in this instance. I wouldn't be afraid to dive with this rig once fixed, but would spend more money the next time for sure. I had read positive reviews on this reg, but I think those folks might have never owned any real quality gear to compare this stuff to...

You live in the only state where reg service may be reasonable. Then again you live North, but maybe you have good service close? I would have purchased a Zeagle as they are made in Zephyrhills, FL - 1 1/2 hours from your door. Assume any scuba gear you buy on EBAY may need service, especially regulators.

New Regs without a warranty are about the only scuba gear I avoid buying on Ebay as service costs can destroy any savings. Reg service runs minimum $60 for first and second. I assume the cost of service will be part of the total price when buying used. Learning to service your own can be worthwhile, but the classes can be expensive. A book is a good way to learn if you are mechanically inclined. Getting service parts may be difficult.

In any event, did you learn anything?

Back
Top Bottom