Rescue Diver Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cocobello

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am looking at taking the PADI rescue diver class. How hard of a class is this regarding final written exam and water exercises ?

Thanks

The exam is no big deal if you study and pay attention. The in water exercises can be physically demanding. I thought it was a difficult, but rewarding course.

It all depends on the instructor and the student... I found the class to be relatively easy and a good experience. the pool and open water exercises causes you to hink on your feet, while the written exam is pretty straight forward...

If your worried about the class or if you don't feel ready id suggest talking to your instructor and see if you can get the book and other materials before the class is set to begin. go through it, make notes and get a head start on the information that will be covered in the class.

I do not call it "hard" as far as materials and written tests go. Even the in water time is not "hard" as such, but it can be a challenge. The class is a practical exercise class. It is a thinking and performing class, as various scenarios are played out. It is a participation class. You need to be in the middle and a part of everything- no sitting in the backround, getting by. You should have a real positive attitude about it and be excited about participating. I think the hardest part for our students is the time we have them standing around waiting for something to happen. They have to stay alert and observant, and then think, plan and act when something does happen ( and it always does). That can be hard. The course properly taught also requires indivdual initiative and sometimes innovation. It is a great growth step. Take the class not to get the certification, but to learn things that will serve you well as long as you are diving. When that is your attitude, dive in!
DivemasterDennis

Reactions: D_B
Rescue is a great course. The be curriculum is not all that difficult. I thought the book work was easier than the skills. As said above, some of the skills can physically demanding -- especially if you actually get in the mindset of trying to save the person you are working with. There is task-loading as well as physical exertion. All that said, though, I did not find it a difficult course and it was very rewarding. I think everyone who dives regularly should take it, for self-preservation, if nothing else.

Make sure you comfortable in uncomfortable situations! My instructors held nothing back in the practical exercises. It was stressful, but I believe it made me a much better diver on my way to DM. It will open your eyes to others abilities or limitations. Enjoy the experience and hopefully you will never really be tested.

Mark

One thing I definitely got out of my Rescue Diver course was task management. Our instructor would spring scenarios on us out of the blue on the second day. Some even had multiple victims that my dive buddy and I had to contend with. In the end, the task overload would sometimes push us right up to our mental limits. It can be a tough class physically, but never underestimate the mental toughness (aka task management abilities) one builds when doing this cert.

The written exam wasn't too difficult--I aced it. The water exercises were challenging, but doable. I really enjoyed the course. If you're comfortable in the water, pay attention to the instructor, and study the written materials, you should do fine. I think that Rescue is something all divers should seriously consider, there is a lot of good knowledge to be had.

Ron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom