Backplates are backplates????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Twilodiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all,

I have spent many hours reading many threads and reviews in regards to BP/W vs. BCD. I think that after doing all this research I want to go with BP/W harness set up. That is after I can dive with one. I can't imagine that I will not like it, but anything is possible.

I have heard all good things about the all these brands Halcyon, Diveright, Hollis,Oxqcheq and Hog.
I have landed on the Halcyon Eclipse or the Infinity but not sure if I need to spend the extra $$$ on the Infinity Diveright is right up there. ON the other side of the coin you have HOG for the price???

I will be diving mostly in warm water here in Florida all year long ..... so think the steal plate would be best.

I Hope this will be the last buoyancy control system I buy for the foreseeable future. Well maybe when I get more experience to dive doubles I would have to get the Evolve wing.

Don't know what to do? Paper or Plastic hahaha ....JUST KIDDING!!! :D

Any help and insight would be greatly appreciated

Off the top of my head....

Buoyancy .... heavier or lighter depending on your weighting needs
Length ... I've heard of taller and shorter plates for your body size
Quality of steel ... don't want garbage steel that will rust
Quality of cuts and grinding of edges .... smoooothh
Finish ... some plates have a nice finish (texture of the plate )

How much weight do you wear today? Switching to a BP/W might taken 8lbs off your belt and if you don't have that much to start with you'll be a bit heavy.

I have a DRIS BP/W with Hog plate and the quality seems fine to me. I dive 3mil fresh and weighting is perfect but if I dive skin I'm a bit over weighted.

BPs are BPs. They are fairly standard with slight differences such as edge holes, and exact bending angles. Your main question should be whether you want steel to help with weighting, or aluminum.

Hi all,

I have spent many hours reading many threads and reviews in regards to BP/W vs. BCD. I think that after doing all this research I want to go with BP/W harness set up. That is after I can dive with one. I can't imagine that I will not like it, but anything is possible.

Whatever you choose will be a trade-off, which is why the "BC Wars" are never-ending.

I'd suggest diving with both and seeing which you like before actually spending money.

The only thing I can tell you for certain is that whatever you get will be worth about half of what you paid if you buy it, find you don't like it and want to resell it.

Try first, then buy.

flots.

I bought my gf the Halcyon Infinity in pink and she loves it. I liked hers so much I bought my own Halcyon SS plate, cinch harness, and the infinity pads (not pink) and use it with an Oxycheq single tank wing I already had. We travel with them without any issue.

I also have an OMS aluminum plate w/Dive Rite harness that I use for technical diving with steel doubles. I like it as well, but it's maybe not as nice as far as fit/finish as the Halcyon if you care about that kind of thing. It works great, though.

The DRIS kit mentioned earlier is pretty nice and a great price.

Whatever you choose will be a trade-off, which is why the "BC Wars" are never-ending.

Only online, man! At the SB Coz invasion this year, with near 70 people, I didn't hear any BC vs BPW bickering! :D

Short of manufacturing defect I've not seen a "bad" plate. As far as preference, people who start with plates love them. People who start with BCs love them. People who start with BCs and migrate to plates, come to love the plate in time. I don't know anyone who has migrated from a plate to a BC, perhaps that's the telling point. I do not understand many shop and instructor's attitudes if you look at class or rental gear you need about 12 BCs to assure good fit for a class of four, while for a class of four you need 4 BP/Ws (with some exceptions for tiny people). I would love to see a child sized plate, anyone know of one?

I wish I knew of a child size plate, I'm considering putting my son into the z wing and harness (20lbs lift) and have him sidemount with a AL40.

Plates vary in the quality of the stainless. They have different bends, which can affect their suitability for single or double tanks. Some have slots for cambands, and others don't, and require a single tank adapter to use with one tank. Some have holes all around the edges, and others have few. Some have only two holes for bolts, and others have more, or slots. Finish of the slots and holes varies. The Halcyon plates have a bend at the lower corners that some people say make them more comfortable over their hips. Deep Sea Supply plates have elastomeric grommets in the lower harness slots, so you don't have to use a triglide to retain the harness. Halcyon has the Cinch system, which doesn't fit on other plates. Some brands have plates in different sizes, to accomodate the very tall and very short. Deep Sea Supply has bolt-on weight plates, to add another 8 lbs to your back; it's unlikely to appeal to someone who is primarily diving in warm water, but it's nice for us cold-water folks.

Those are a few things to look at, when you are evaluating which plate will be best for your needs.

I'd highly recommend at least giving Tobin George of DSS a call . . . he spends a tremendous amount of time helping people figure out which plate and which wing will work best for their uses. Be prepared to answer questions about your tanks and your exposure protection!

Plates vary in the quality of the stainless. They have different bends, which can affect their suitability for single or double tanks. Some have slots for cambands, and others don't, and require a single tank adapter to use with one tank. Some have holes all around the edges, and others have few. Some have only two holes for bolts, and others have more, or slots. Finish of the slots and holes varies. The Halcyon plates have a bend at the lower corners that some people say make them more comfortable over their hips. Deep Sea Supply plates have elastomeric grommets in the lower harness slots, so you don't have to use a triglide to retain the harness. Halcyon has the Cinch system, which doesn't fit on other plates. Some brands have plates in different sizes, to accomodate the very tall and very short. Deep Sea Supply has bolt-on weight plates, to add another 8 lbs to your back; it's unlikely to appeal to someone who is primarily diving in warm water, but it's nice for us cold-water folks.

Those are a few things to look at, when you are evaluating which plate will be best for your needs.

I'd highly recommend at least giving Tobin George of DSS a call . . . he spends a tremendous amount of time helping people figure out which plate and which wing will work best for their uses. Be prepared to answer questions about your tanks and your exposure protection!

Thank you! Not sure who Tobin is new to SB. Wish that i could go and try all the diff ones...Thank all you guys for all your answers...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom