Torso gets cold when diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alowan

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi, long time reader first time poster.

I recently changed from wetsuit to drysuit and bought a Santi E motion and a Santi 400g UG. Like when learning any other new aspect of diving I got someone expirenced to train me and i now feel really comfortable using my drysuit.

I do however have one problem. My torso gets rather cold when diving. I have been diving in 15-16 degrees warm water with it and still got cold. And on my latest dive in 6-7 degree water I had to call the dive after 30 minutes due to my cold torso. Extremities etc. feels warm, so it is only the torso that is a problem.

Since the 400g UG is rated for 0-7 degrees I find it odd that I am getting cold. I have asked around and searched for an answer to as this might be but without luck. The shop I bought my drysuit and UG just told me that I should try to wear more layers - so I have bought a fourth element vest to try with my other UG.

But if anyone has any experience with this problem or a tip on how to fix it it would be appriciated.

Bet regards,
Mads

p.s. Please bear with my rather bad english. It is not my first language and I wrote this on an ipad without spell checker.

Sounds like you may be perspiring and the dampness is hanging around. A good underlayer (thin and wicking) SHOULD help if that is the issue. Crosscounty ski undies are great in my experience. Good luck. And you bought yourself a good suit.

Agree. It is probably perspiration. I regularly use underarmor or a rash guard to wick away moisture. It's always a good solution to layer anyway.

Thank you for the reply.

I will try with the fourth element vest + some under armor next dive and see if that helps.

I have tried a few dives with some ski underwear. And that did not help. However that underwear was really thin and cheap quality - so might be better with some real stuff.
Hopefully putting on an extra layer will help - sucks to have such a nice suit and still get cold after 10-20 minutes.

Drysuit diving however seems to be the best thing that happened for my diving since I discovered regulators.. :p

Once again thank for the reply.

In addition to cold, I'm assuming you're damp on the chest? I'm guessing the shop already checked, but the drysuit inflator typically just screws on, so you could make sure it's tight and not letting water in. I would also inspect the neck seal. Could just be that you're sweating, especially if you're hot on the surface when getting all your gear on.

If you aren't staying dry you will never be warm. Whatever else you do, you must have a bottom layer that wicks the moisture away from your skin. Cotton briefs are forgiveable but never, ever wear a cotton t-shirt! (You would not believe how many kids I've had to explain that to - modesty problems).
Above the underwear that you might find that wearing a merino wool underwear layer helps. On top of this use an undersuit for cold water. Santi should be a fine brand, the Weezle Extreme Plus is very warm too but quite bulky.
If nothing else helps there are heated vests available.
Eat well & properly too; your dive day diet might be a more important factor than you realize.

Im not damp on the chest afaik. No water is leaking in and all seals seems to be tight and hold.

On some of my dives in 16 degrees I did sweat a bit before entering the water but on my latest dive in 6 degree I did not notice sweating. However I might have since it took a while to gear up. The crazy thing was that the other two people I dove with had less UG on (one of them a small UG and a t-shirt and the other a 200g and diden't get cold at all - so no baselayer etc while i had my ski under layer).

thanks for the tips etc. Amazing how you can just post and get help and tips. I have planned a dive for this saturday - so hopefully I will get to try the tips out and maybe get rid of my problems.

How much of an effect can being damp from sweat have? Might have been soaked up by my cheap ski polyester UG. But im only cold on the chest anywhere else i warm (eg. cold the one place that is compressed due to trim).

---------- Post added December 10th, 2013 at 11:47 AM ----------

Santi is quite bulky too and should be warmer than the wesels (and need quite a big amount of lead - full 14kg in total). But as you say it might be my underwear soaking the sweat - dunno how polyester is in that regard.

if all else fails i plan on getting some merino wool under garments - but a 400g suit + fourth element vest + merino wool UG seems a bit excessive. Especially when the 400g is rated for 0-7 degrees and I get cold in 15 degree water. And requires quite a bit of weight. The great thing is that all those things arent wasted since I also can use it in warmer waters.

really hope the extra layer works as you all suggest. Must say I was beggining to blame it on the santi 400g UG (thinking it must have a defect).

once again thanks for the replies, they all help me a great deal. It is quite fustrating to spend that much on gear and then have problems with it.

My undersuit is a good one. After a dive I'm dry, my long underwear is dry and the outside of my undersuit is visibly moist/almost wet => wipe it and your hand will be moist. This means all the sweat I produced was pulled all the way to the outside of the undersuit. If I get a small leak somewhere it's also obvious that most of the moisture is now on the outside of the suit. This is how it should be. If something in the middle is the most moist area something isn't right.

Tech long underwear is a little hard to know what works. I've got some "XC-skiiing underwear" I bought at a cheapo department store that is barely thicker than a nylon stocking & it's warm. I also have some "outdoor sports" underwear that cost more, looks more substantial and doesn't ever seem to retain moisture... but it's just not very warm, either. I guess you just have to try different brands to find what works.

At some point, adding undergarments will make you uncomfortable in a different way. You'll be trading the discomfort of the cold for the discomfort of feeling like the Michelin Man. Will you have the mobility you need to be safe? To reach your valves? Etc.

Maybe consider this:

UTD Equipment Solar Heating Systems

Prices are quite reasonable, and you can share the battery canister with one of their great dive lights.

Back
Top Bottom