Frequency of replacement of HP hose to SPG

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ricky B

Contributor
Reaction score
The user manual for the Mares SPG that I just bought states:

If Nitrox mixtures are used, the HP hose should be replaced every two years.

Why would that be?

Do people who use nitrox replace the SPG's HP hose every two years?

No. Not with anyone I know.

No, many years longer than that. Why would Nitrox make any difference?

Possibly a concern about O2 cleaning? - but I can't see that a regulator kept in normal service would need a hose change.

There is nothing I know of about increased oxygen content that will cause degradation or problems for the hose.

However if you are using increased O2 (above 40%) there may be a risk if the inside of the hose naturally delaminates a little over time causing dust or small particles in the hose which would then be a fire/explosion risk for the increased O2 content.

This would be my best guess of the potential problem they are trying to mitigate. Phil.

It may well be that high pressure O2 does nasty things to the hose lining, particularly where the metal fittings crimp onto it. O2 itself is incredibly corrosive, and at 3000-3500psi it's got to be much worse.

Realistically, however, you're probably going to have hose failures from bending the little 6" hoses into a funny configuration (especially the braided ones, it seems) long before the O2 eats them away.

I'm a little amazed someone read the manual for their SPG.

I replace when they leak. Having said that I am on my third or fourth hose in about 8 years. All were very small leaks. One was in the hose itself. The other was at the crimp at one end. The other was where it joined the SPG (that may have been an oring issue I forget). I do about 40 dives a year with HP tanks and 30-32 % nitrox.

+1 on the short HP hoses for SPGs, I have had a few issues with one of mine blowing O-rings frequently on a stage usually filled with EAN50 so changed it to a button gauge.

On my usual regs however I have never had problems or had to change HP hoses more than a couple of times over 20+ years of diving.

I'm a little amazed someone read the manual for their SPG.

He might be like some of us who, when seeing two words together, just have to read them. I have it so bad I can't close an ice cream container properly; I read close this flap first while closing the rest of the flaps, then have to reopen the container to close it properly.

I've had a couple of HP hoses go bad but they were from the '70's or '80's, and I wouldn't use anything that old with high levels of O2 because they were never designed to anyway. You can swap them out if you wish, but I wait for an indication that the thrill is gone.

Bob
----------------------------------------
I swear its not hoarding dear, I'm just keeping an adequate stock of equipment and parts. It's life support, you know.

Change my 9" HP hoses on my side mount cylinders annually.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In 5 yrs of technical diving, I have replaced my HP hose on my doubles twice. The first time, I had one of the shiny Scubpro hoses that ruptured, juts before a cave dive. My Tech instructor's HP hose (same make) ruptured a few months before. I just replaced that hose a few days ago when I turned the air on & heard a loud hiss. I checked the hose & found a large gash in it. Likely from a cave diving trip a couple months ago. Not so much gas, more than defective product & rough evironment &/ or handling.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom