Car keys and water pressure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nkw5

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Please don't laugh, but I gotta ask (and sorry if this is the wrong place to ask but I couldn't find any place that seemed to fit): can water pressure affect car keys with chips in them? I have taken my key down several times (in my drysuit) before I thought that it might even remotely be a problem.:shocked2:

My guess is you'd have to be way below rec. diving limits. Assuming there must be air inside the key, of course it would want to compress at depth. But the material a key is made of is a lot more solid than human tissue, so the key would probably not have to "equalize early and often".....You didn't ask, but I'd never take it into water anyway for fear of water getting on/in it. I just put it in a ziplock bag and bury it in sand, dirt, bushes, etc. when no one is looking. Nobody thought of us divers when they invented those %^$#&*^ chips.

Absolutely no problem as long as the electronics stay dry. Put them into a small zip lock bag and suck the air out of it before you close it.

If there in your dry suite dosent matter how deep u go they will be okay, you put air in the suit to compensate for surrounding pressure, now if the suite floods thats another story

Assuming suit doesn't flood....assuming one uses a dive flag...assuming someone doesn't find your hidey place, these are good options. Another is getting your key cut on a stainless steel fob. The more professional security houses can do it, though it can be expensive. Then you'll have to disable any remote security system you have.

I've gotten my chipped key pretty wet before and had no problems, but I'm curious as well what the limitations might be.

I have a key cut that I wear on a lanyard around my neck. Key ring stays in the truck, this one only needs to open the door. Easy.

I always store my chipped key (not remote control but with embedded chip) in the thigh pocket of my drysuit, so it is exposed to wet and pressure and have never had any problems.

I always store my chipped key (not remote control but with embedded chip) in the thigh pocket of my drysuit, so it is exposed to wet and pressure and have never had any problems.

Yep. Either clip it off or don't go in that pocket, ever.

Or put it into a ziplock bag and drop it into your drysuit. -only prob with that method is that you have to totally undress to get the key...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom