Couple questions on a pony bottle for bail out

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sonic04GT

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have been out of diving for a little while (about a yearish) but I've finally decided to get a pony bottle as I hopefully get things rolling again.

I decided on a 19cf for recreational diving mostly in the 50-90ft range and I think I'm going to sling it for ease of access and the ability to pass it off if necessary. I'm currently looking for a regulator in the $200 range (Mares Rover 12, Genesis GS2000, Oceanic GT3/SP5, Cressi XS2/AC2).

Question 1 - What are your recommendations on basic slinging methods/rigs? I use a Zeagle Ranger.

I know there's continuous debate on how to store tanks and I like to keep my Worthington HP100's at 500psi if they'll be sitting for a while.

Question 2 - Since a pony tank is not used regularly, how do you store/cycle it? I intend to simply do a wet-breathe test before each dive.

Thanks a lot in advance,

Chris

First of all have you read through this?

Everyone has their own system, personally I sling mine like a stage using D rings on my BCD/Wing, I also use DIN valves/regs.

Do you know what your SAC rate is? Will a 19 cuft pony be sufficient to get you from 90ft to the surface?

Why would you not use it regularly? The whole point of carrying one is for redundancy, but you should carry it on every dive and practice using it frequently so that if needed it becomes second nature to use it.

The regulator that you bail out to should be of equal quality as the one you got off. Under stress and breathing off a lesser quality regulator will really spike your sac rate.
Eric

My personal preference is to sling my 19cuft pony. I use a DIN 1st stage and an inline shut off valve so I can keep the valve on throughout the dive without losing any air by accidentally purging. The valve slides on and off and can be locked open. When deploying the 2nd stage I grab the shut off valve to pull the hose out from the bungee that action opens the valve. I store the bottle upright and full. The bottle is due for it's 1st post sale hydro in sept. I haven't used it except for a drill or two since I bought it. All the regulators I use are the same.

First of all have you read through this?

Everyone has their own system, personally I sling mine like a stage using D rings on my BCD/Wing, I also use DIN valves/regs.

Do you know what your SAC rate is? Will a 19 cuft pony be sufficient to get you from 90ft to the surface?

Why would you not use it regularly? The whole point of carrying one is for redundancy, but you should carry it on every dive and practice using it frequently so that if needed it becomes second nature to use it.
I have not seen that but I will look over it and see if I can pick out some more information. I have read a fair amount into air consumption from various depths on various websites. The majority of my diving will be at 60' and I feel a 19cf would suit me well. For anything significantly deeper, developing a solid dive buddy would of course be key.

I guess I could agree with the regular use!

Edit to add - After reading over a few pages of that thread, I may consider a 30cf as they apparently sling similarly although I feel a 19cf is sufficient in most cases. Having more air isn't necessarily a bad thing. Having more weight however is a minor concern.

---------- Post added June 16th, 2014 at 10:55 AM ----------
The regulator that you bail out to should be of equal quality as the one you got off. Under stress and breathing off a lesser quality regulator will really spike your sac rate.
Eric
Thank you for the input. I currently dive an Atomic B2 DIN with Atomic SS1 inflator and unfortunately $700 for a reg is a little out of my price range right now when there are many other competitive regs out there in the lower range. As much as I would love to purchase another Atomic, it's just not feasible right now but maybe later on down the line I can work something and get an identical setup. I can certainly see your argument, however.

I could consider a used Atomic, maybe even a Z2 model but I still prefer to purchased an unused reg.

---------- Post added June 16th, 2014 at 10:58 AM ----------

My personal preference is to sling my 19cuft pony. I use a DIN 1st stage and an inline shut off valve so I can keep the valve on throughout the dive without losing any air by accidentally purging. The valve slides on and off and can be locked open. When deploying the 2nd stage I grab the shut off valve to pull the hose out from the bungee that action opens the valve. I store the bottle upright and full. The bottle is due for it's 1st post sale hydro in sept. I haven't used it except for a drill or two since I bought it. All the regulators I use are the same.

Would you mind providing a little more information on the inline valve? I was considering a reg with a manual flow control on the side similar to my B2 but how well do you think something like that actually works? I don't recall having any freeflow issues with my B2 but at the same time the thing is opened fully and in my mouth by the time I'm under water.

I see many people arguing about the amount of second stages one should carry. I'm actually a big fan of the SS1 inflator in this case, that way each second stage is unique. The one in my mouth, the one on my inflator hose, and the one slung as a stage. In the event of a buddy issue, he gets my primary and I switch to my SS1 on my inflator.

In the event of an issue myself, I simply grab the stage bottle in front of me.

Last edited:
If you put an inline shutoff on the second stage hose, make sure you also put an OPV into an empty LP port in the first stage. Otherwise you could end up BOOM.

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.

Everyone has an opinion so here is mine.
19 Cu Ft should fit most recreational needs - but you do need to learn how to determine your needs so that you can feel comfortable that you understand why you are carrying that specific pony size. SAC / RMV rates vary from person and situation - are you comfortable with your choice and does it match your risk tolerance?
1st stage, 2nd stage and pressure gauge need to be working only - I do not match them to my primary - if you have extra money feel free to match.
Once on your pony - you are surfacing and are not continuing your dive - so in my opinion - it only needs to get you to the surface safely.
You are responsible for your own safety - do some homework and ensure you have the right pony for your needs and risk tolerance.

Congratulations Sonic04GT! You've picked one of the most passionately debated topics on SB.

My take. Unless you have a reason to always do a SS even when diving within NDL, are the most dramatic air hog imaginable or dive in an area where entrapment is a risk, a 19 cf at your planned depths should be fine. If you want to ensure you will have enough for a leisurely ascent and a safety stop, then at least do a rough estimate of your sac and plan appropriately. There are lots of threads about calculating sac and ascents.

I prefer to sling mine. Here is a link to the way I rig it. Simple, cheap and effective.

DIR-diver.com - Stagebottle rigging

I "detune" same as you would a standard octo, either with the adjustment if available on your set, or through your service technician. The reg I use for the pony is just a good quality, dependable reg. I open the tank and test the set before the dive then close the tank valve. After entry I again open the tank and may (probably should always) retest the reg but I dive with the tank valve closed. My choice. I know this and I practice this. I know to open the valve before use.

I do practice deployment at the start of a dive trip. I try to keep it near full since it is a 13. This is a drawback of a small tank. You need to keep it full. No wiggle room. Also little room for a free flow, hence my choice to dive with it closed.

Oh, and about weight. In the water and properly slung, you won't know a 13 from a 40.

If you put an inline shutoff on the second stage hose, make sure you also put an OPV into an empty LP port in the first stage. Otherwise you could end up BOOM.

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.

+1. The hose anyway. Some regs have built in OP besides the 2nd stage. I couldn't tell you which ones but I'll bet a Sherwood is one of those.

Thanks again for all of the input. I just dropped my tanks off for hydro and while I was there I picked up a Kaplan Scuba 30cf with Blue Steel convertible valve for $137 out the door.

I figure if I'm going to sling it anyway and don't really intend to travel, a little extra weight for added peace of mind in most situations was worth it.

Back
Top Bottom