Donning Fins After Boat Exit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jsh3650

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Anyone have experience on boats where donning fins after you exit is allowed? I understand the reasoning for new divers, but as a DM and tech diver I can't stand the fin shuffle on board. IMO I feel much more stable walking across a crowed deck that is rolling in my boots with my hand through my fin straps. Most boats that I have been on make you take them off anyway upon reentering the boat.

I've always donned my fins just before entry into the water from the boat. I refuse to walk around on a boat in fins. If the entry is back-roll, I gear up and put on my fins last, ready to roll in. If the entry is giant stride, I gear up at my station and walk to the place for entry with my fins in my hands, when I put them on and giant stride in.

No, all of them that I know of would make you put your fins on at the gate right before you go in.

For good reason.

If, for whatever reason, you stepped off the boat without your fins on and were unable to inflate your BC, and your air was OFF, could you keep you chin above water long enough to drop weights and possibly your rig so that you would not immediately sink and drown?

As unlikely as this scenario sounds, divers, including tech divers, have died this way.

Just food for thought.

Best wishes.

Its been 50/50 as to whether you put on the fins at you seat and trod to the back of the boat or hand you fins to the attendant adn they put then on for you adn give you a final check before the giant stride.

I've been known to fall (or dive head first) off boats for relatively simple OC dives with the spring straps of my jet fins securely clamped in one paw; sometimes it's just easier to get yourself and your scooter and your pony/deco/stage(s) in the water and pull the fins on as you drop. There are sites and/or dives when this would be a much worse idea than others.

Assuming you present as having a clue, I'm not sure anyone (or anyone I'd dive with more than once) would really give you a ton of gruff if you showed up at the gate, checked your LPI, regs, gauge, and shook your fins at 'em before tossing yourself out, but if you're not managing a bunch of other gear why not just pull them on at the gate? If they're intrusive enough to force you to don your fins before leaving the boat, they should be hands-on enough to steady you while you don em. And I'm doubtful any tech-charter boat would give a flying :censored: about your gear donning practices…it's gotta be a rec cattle boat caring about that kind of stuff.

I don my fins as late as possible prior to donning my gear and as near to intended roll position or stride. Also like to be at or close to that position before donning anything other than my wetsuit. For stride entry, I may also have on my gear and do the cross leg position to don my fins. Not my preference though. Lots of things like this depend on the boat, the crew, other divers, etc.

Sometimes one just has to suck it up and walk backwards in your fins.

For good reason.

If, for whatever reason, you stepped off the boat without your fins on and were unable to inflate your BC, and your air was OFF, could you keep you chin above water long enough to drop weights and possibly your rig so that you would not immediately sink and drown?

As unlikely as this scenario sounds, divers, including tech divers, have died this way.

Just food for thought.

Best wishes.

I've been taught to put air in my bcd before jumping in the water, its something we always do as part of our buddy check

I will sometimes enter the water with fins in my hand, particularly if there is a queue of punters forming and I'm cutting-in so there is a DM in the water first...saves stalling them while I put my fins on. If everyone else is still in their seat, I'll usually put my fins on at the gate. I once jumped in for a night dive and had my (black) fin race me to the bottom... luckily one of the other divers descended right on top of it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom