Backup Mask, Prescription or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

darrenlowjq

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all, I recently completed Fundies and am still in the process of reviewing the gear that I carry with me. I currently carry a spare prescription mask on all dives. However, it was mentioned during the class that all equipment carried by individual team members are part of the team's shared resource. Thus, I am left wondering if I should be carrying a prescription mask, which would obviously be optimal for me as a personal backup, or a non-prescription mask, which would suit team mates who are not myopic or wearing contacts.

I am a PADI DM so I think being able to deal with the loss of my primary mask is something to consider as I would have to attend to students. This was one of the reasons I went for a prescription mask as a backup in the first place. However, I intend to continue into tech and I've read enough Tech 1 class reports to know that handing off backup masks to teammates is not outside of the realm of possibility as well, which would favour the non-prescription mask unless my teammates are about as equally myopic as I am.

I imagine the degree to which one is myopic would also factor into this decision. I'm not quite in the blind as a bat without prescription lens territory but anything beyond 2-3 metres starts getting fuzzy for me.

I'm interested to hear from other myopic divers who carry backup masks as to which option they lean towards and why, GUE trained or otherwise. Obviously solo divers don't have to take teammates into consideration, but are welcome to chime in with their opinions on this issue too.

my feeling is if you are comfortable breathing without a mask on, which you should be anyway, there is no need for a backup mask so I don't carry one. OBviously the DIR people don't agree with that. If you can read your computer/gauges without an Rx mask, I wouldn't bother carrying one as your spare. Get a cheap $25 Hog Razorback or something and just use that. If you can't read your gauges, then you need an Rx mask for your safety since you need to be able to read gauges/computer/tables for decompression, ascent rates, etc.

Carry the Rx mask. Your buddies can carry a mask appropriate for them.

tbone, DIR folks CERTAINLY argue that you should be comfortable without a mask. We do mask off stuff through all levels of training, from fundies up to cave, tech, and rebreather. That said, I carry a spare mask on dives where needing to see is fairly important, like dives with scooters, gas switches, and such. Can I do all these things without a mask? Yes. Is it easier with a mask? Of course. Does carrying one impact me? Not at all.

Carry the prescription mask. The backup mask is entailed for your personal backup, and while yes you could give it to a teammate if they lose their primary and backup mask, that is not your priority in the DIR team setting; that is a final resort when **** hits the fan and the team has a deco obligation.

If you lose/break your primary and backup masks, there was already a problem before going into the dive.
IE lack of training, lack of equipment maintenance etc etc.
The pre-dive gear check includes the condition of your mask buckles, bolt snaps, etc etc etc; Everything.
So avoid that situation from happening with preventative measures.

If you cannot read your gauges with your backup, then it's not much of a backup.

With a DIR Team, everyone should have their own backup mask. With three teamates, you have 3 backup masks amongst the team.
Say for your particular case. You have 4 regular masks, and 2 prescription masks amongst the team.

VS 5 regular masks and 1 prescription mask if you went with a standard lens backup. In this situation there is no backup for you. If you can't read your gauges, you can't complete your deco obligation without bringing a liability to the team.

You should carry a backup k that will work if YOU need it. If your buddy needs it, then that will be his / her problem to deal with the funny vision.

On a related note - as I've aged my "near" vision has decreased.
With some frequency I pull my mask off & breathe/swim without - just practicing, often solo/end of dive(bored doing safety stop/deco). My newer dive computer has a somewhat bigger display & I can still focus enough to read it when I push it right up close to my eyeballs with no mask on.
However, I'm wondering if at a certain point - those of us with "old eyes" that don't focus as well up close, might be more prudent carrying a backup mask - more-so even when say diving solo/against NDL.

hmmm... thanks for the post - got me thinking - next solo dive I'll do no mask ascent to safety/deco stop & guage focus & ease of reading computer(/backup spg).

@g1138 yup the point on becoming a liability to the team seems valid to me. The use of the term "team resource" got me thinking about whether the stuff I'm carrying could be useful to the team as a whole or not. In that sense, I guess a prescription mask would be helpful to the team in that it would prevent me from becoming a liability, though not directly useful should teammates lose/break their own mask.

However, is it a safe assumption that all DIR divers carry a spare mask? From what I understand a spare mask is not a "compulsory" part of the DIR configuration and I was the only one of my team on my fundies course carrying a backup. I know the template DIR answer would be to have pre-dive discussion on what gear everyone is carrying, but I'm just running what if scenarios in my head here.

@g1138 yup the point on becoming a liability to the team seems valid to me. The use of the term "team resource" got me thinking about whether the stuff I'm carrying could be useful to the team as a whole or not. In that sense, I guess a prescription mask would be helpful to the team in that it would prevent me from becoming a liability, though not directly useful should teammates lose/break their own mask.

However, is it a safe assumption that all DIR divers carry a spare mask? From what I understand a spare mask is not a "compulsory" part of the DIR configuration and I was the only one of my team on my fundies course carrying a backup. I know the template DIR answer would be to have pre-dive discussion on what gear everyone is carrying, but I'm just running what if scenarios in my head here.

It depends on the dive. A 30ft reef bimble? No. I barely want to wear pants, let alone pockets stuffed with doodads.

A more advanced dive calls for more stuff.

Exactly what PfcAJ said. Equip your backups and accessories for the dive.
Even a SMB & spool might fall into this category. It all depends on the dive plan and dive site.

Depends upon your RX--------any idea what it is??.........Maybe you need to carry 2???---1 for you & 1 for an emmetrope??

Back
Top Bottom