Lycra skin or 1 mm wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oira79

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My wife and I are going to Papua New Guinea in October. We dove Raja Ampat last December and I dove in a Lycra skinsuit, borrowed, for the entire trip and it was great. Fabulous. Felt so free, and I was never cold.

For PNG, we're buying suits (we usually rent everything but masks). My wife gets cold more than I do, she's getting a 3 mm wetsuit.

I'm torn between a 1 mm wetsuit and a Lycra skin. The skin was such a great experience, easy on, easy off, comfortable. However, I'm worried that if I do get cold, on the boat we're going on (MV Febrina), if I don't get on the boat with a wetsuit, there's no option to rent one.

I've never worn a 1 mm wetsuit and I wonder if anybody has any experience with them, and can compare them to just having a Lycra skin. Thanks.

I wear a 1 mm and am comfortable down to the low 70s in it. It is so comfortable both in and out of the water. I've dived once in just my dive skin and I hated it. It was too loose feeling and gave me no real protection from scrapes.

Last edited:
I used to use lycra skins but have mostly moved to 1mm. You get some warmth in the 1mm, a bit more protection from whatever, and they're more durable. I also find a damp 1mm can actually be easier to get on than damp lycra. Sometimes I wear a 3mm vest over the 1mm, doesn't affect my comfort.

You could also look into Lavacore stuff. I found the early fleece lined laminates weren't stretchy enough to be as comfortable as I would have liked, but I don't know how Lavacore compares.

I would go with the 1 mil. It gives you a little protection if current or surge accidently brushes you against the reef. The skin won't do that for you.

I find the lavacore stuff to be heavy and not that well fitting compared to a 1 mil, especially if you get one of the new super-stretch neoprenes.

Check the water temps and compare them to those you've dove in before. If you're comfortable in a skin at that temp, then just stop worrying about it.
The only time I wear neoprene is when we're diving cenotes, or when I need to have added buoyancy (SS BP and a steel HP120 is too heavy for just a skin...).
I've worn a 1mm and honestly can't tell the difference as far as warmth goes. Any neoprene is going to be slightly more confining than lycra. 1mm a little more so, 7mm a lot.

I use a full suit Lavacore on dives to the low 70's. It fits excellently under my 3 mil for colder dives. It is neutrally buoyant so no extra weight. I prefer it over a 1 mil.

Skin plus X would provide flexibility (with X being either a 1 mm or fleece suit). You could wear just skin, just X or both. When wearing both, the skin underneath makes donning and doffing the other easier.

As for X: a 1mm is often cheaper, a fleece suit is neutrally buoyant and typically warmer.

Or option 97B – a skin and a shorty of your choice.

For all of the above, fit varies with manufacturer, so you might want to find what fits your body best.

edit - I think the Febrina is a liveaboard. If so, you can seldom have too much thermal protection when doing multiple dives over multiple days. You and your wife might want to even consider beanies.

I ended up buying a skin and a 2 mm shorty wetsuit.

I was surprised by how cheap this solution is: $40 for the skin, $50 for the 2 mm wetsuit. At those prices, why not? I haven't owned a wetsuit in years but if we keep going to warm-water places like this, since we're a once-a-year, 2-weeks-at-a-time diving couple, I could buy a new wetsuit for every trip. It's cheaper than renting and then I don't have to worry about cleaning it. Plus I bet one of the divemasters on the boat would be happy to get it.

We'll see if that's enough. Thanks for all the replies.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom