Question about how rebreathers are harnessed and worn.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eric Sedletzky

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Sorry about posting this in advance scuba, but I'm not authorized to access the rebreather forum and this seemed to be the next most appropriate place.

I have a question about how rebreathers are set up to wear/mount to the diver. Do all of units have 11" center posts and use a basic plate with Hog harness or comfort harness and wing like a set of doubles?
Or are there some brands/models that have a whole integrated harness system built in?
I've never even seen a rebreather in person so I know nothing about them.

I'm curious to know because this new plate design of mine might work with RB's but I need to know more.
I don't know anybody that has one.

Thanks for your help.

Some can use a standard plate and harness. Others have their own mounting system. And some are even specifically sidemount. The rEvo is one I know specifically that will not work with a standard plate. It uses a proprietary split backplate with 2 bolts each on top and bottom. But at least the distance between top and bottom bolts is 11 inches.

There are plenty of rebreather divers in your area. Find a tech shop and ask questions so you can see and touch. It never hurts to learn.

The inability to work with standard wing is probably my biggest peeve about the revo--I've added extra grommets to two different Halcyon wings now, and that's just a waste of resale value on the wings--though I've found the split BP will work with a standard one-piece harness rather well so long as you dispense with the triglides at the hips. It works a bit like the DSS glide system, actually. I also think the deep outdoors harness is a cheap POS, but it seems to work well enough that I'm not seeing anyone screaming about how the harness on their $15,000 toy broke a buckle or whatnot.

OTOH, it would be an interesting if not impossible task to try and make a contoured, case-enclosed CCR unit that easily adapted to a standard BP. The guys who have a long canister running the length of the spine and no CL case have it easier in that regard, and that's most CCRs.

It really depends on the unit. It's fair to assume that whatever you have now is not going to be compatible with most rebreathers. In fact, I'd say that it's foolish to try. Buying a unit based on whether it will work with your current plate system is like buying a car based on whether it will fit the spare brake pads you have in your garage.

The Hollis Prism 2 works with a standard BP/W. I have a Dive Rite rebreather wing on the Hollis SS plate, with the Golem Gear sidemount kit for the bail-out bottles.

The Hollis Prism 2 works with a standard BP/W. I have a Dive Rite rebreather wing on the Hollis SS plate, with the Golem Gear sidemount kit for the bail-out bottles.

I suspect that, in general, you'll have more compatibility with a backplate in an OTSCL configuration. I wouldn't make a counterlung position decision based on the ability to use a backplate, though.

It really depends on the unit. It's fair to assume that whatever you have now is not going to be compatible with most rebreathers. In fact, I'd say that it's foolish to try. Buying a unit based on whether it will work with your current plate system is like buying a car based on whether it will fit the spare brake pads you have in your garage.
This latest prototype I'm working on is completely different from any other model I've ever produced.
It's contoured just like the others, however it's a bit wider and it's designed with 11' center holes for an STA, doubles, and/or I'm hoping a rebreather unit. The construction is nothing like any of the models past. In fact it doesn't even have wing slots. It has 11" center holes only, so bolted up attachment of whatever system/configuration you want to use is the only option (for now).
In other words, where ever a standard straight doubles backplate can be used, this new plate of mine can be used.

You were right, why close out all other options except single tank diving with only wings that have slots, and then not even all single tank wings with slots, I found too many that had issues with fit. So now, any wing with 11" center holes will work which means all of them, and since there are 11" holes that means it just opened up to doubles and also rebreatheres (I'm hoping).
The special contoured design is really comfy and stable and I think it will be valuable.

Would anybody be willing to post a few pics of how some of these units look from the front?

That's awesome, Eric, I think that will be well received. The rebreather thing is a little weird in that the units are sold as a system. Like I said - some units are compatible (the Meg has a backplate, as does the Hollis Prism 2) some units are not (the rEvo won't work with it, I believe the JJ and the new KISS LTE as well). It'll boil down to whether or not the counterlungs are interfered with, which is why I suspect that over the shoulder counterlung (OTSCL) units will be where your product has a chance to shine.

FWIW - I think you could make a plate that would work with the rEvo, but it would have to be specifically cut and built to work wth that unit. I'd buy one. I'm not a big fan of the plate/harness that it comes with, but there aren't many good options to change that and like I said, it's not worth picking the unit based on harness/plate.

Here is the back view of the Kiss Spirit LTE with the scrubbers & O2 tank removed. This one is mine, I've added the butt plate & Zeagle weight pockets

photo2.jpg

Here's what it looks like put together

os_lte_dealerpdf__1_page_.jpg

Here's the front side of the backplate minus the harness & stuff

20140703092322.jpg

It comes standard with a Dive Rite harness & CCR wing.

Hope this helps! If you want any kind of measurements, specific photos, etc. just e-mail me or PM me.

Back
Top Bottom