Hoseless computer alone or with backup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Compressor

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Dear friends:
I am curious what folks who have a hoseless dive computer do on a dive with respect to also carrying a spg or not?
Thank you

I still carry an SPG on every dive. A single SPG on a hose is barely noticeable, and it's better to have redundancy.

I have a spg on my twin set, but when diving with a single tank i dont. If i for some reason lose the signal from the transmitter, i end the dive. Still havent happened once.

I am curious what folks who have a hoseless dive computer do on a dive with respect to also carrying a spg or not?
Always have a (hosed) SPG - it is my primary pressure information source. The wireless, air integrated system is a convenience - nice to have, not essential.

I HAVE had my wireless system fail / lose synchronization, multiple times, usually at lower pressures. I have never had to end a dive as a result, because I always have a SPG.

I have one of these on a hose and clipped off to my BCD where I can reach in case my hoseless computer fails (not that if has). If I couldn't get it to reconnect though I would still end the dive but at least I have an idea of how much air I have left.

I have a Subgear XP-H as a backup to my wireless computer. It's small, comparatively cheap, and always stays clipped off, just in case I need it. All functions in a package no larger than an SPG. The only drawback is that it's more conservative than my A300 CS primary computer. That has not caused a problem yet, but the canonical view is that the primary should be more conservative than the backup, or you could run into some difficulties if your backup thinks you're bent, while your primary is fine.

I found the smallest SPG I could buy. As others have said, it's barely noticeable. I had problems on a trip in the Cayman's where my wireless SPG kept losing sync. I suspect someone else was on the same frequency as me or there was some sort of interference. It would sync back pretty quickly, but it still scared me enough to get the analog SPG for redundancy.

Last edited:
Get an analog backup. While I don't own or dive with an AI computer, just this past Saturday, a gentleman had to abort due to his computer not reading his tank pressure. It was a long, steep hike hauling all of the gear and tanks, too.

I have an analogue backup. Initially I was very happy getting rid of a hose and gauge. Then one day my transmitter leaked. Yep no dive for me that day. So the next day I reconnected my analogue spg. No problems or worries since.

One more vote for clipping off an SPG to your left hip and being done with it.

I know that some people really like to watch their gas pressure on their wrist, I personally don't find that is much of an advantage. Also, some people are data junkies (like me), and I kind of miss having pressure data in my downloaded logs, but that has become less important to me over time.

The extra hose is virtually unnoticeable, and I constantly had problem with the WAI link on my Suunto Vyper Air. I don't think that it was just me, either... read the threads here and you will find a LOT of people with the same experience. So if I don't really trust the WAI, what's the point of having it? Yes, I know that there are lots of people who have never had problems with it, but the point is that a significant number of people have had problems with it.

Statistically, if nine out of ten people have had their WAI work perfectly, that will generate a lot of posts vouching for the system, despite an unacceptable 10% failure rate (made up numbers for the purpose of example).

Back
Top Bottom