Rescue vs Self-Reliant

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SMAE

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
If you were diving solo, would you do a rescue or self-reliant class first?

My husband & I just relocated to South Florida. To be honest, I HATE diving with him as he has no buddy skills what-so-ever. On our last night dive, I was trying to follow his light but lost him quite a few times. I'm tired of playing catch-me-if-you-can. I've discussed this with him to the point of nausea over the past 4 years. I'm extremely frustrated, especially now that we are living in a dive destination as I can only imagine it's going to get worse.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to which class would be the best to take in my situation? My goal is to have rescue, DM & Self-Reliant diver completed in the next 9 months. Any help would greatly be appreciated. Please no husband bashing as I am already there and am literally sick to my stomach.

Thanks!

If you're diving solo, then you need to learn to dive solo. That means the PADI self-reliant or SDI solo programs. Do rescue later.

Rescue does teach better buddy skills, so maybe the hubster needs to take that while you take the solo diver course...

I'd suggest starting with solo training, since you (like most "buddy" divers) are already diving solo.

That said, such training may clarify for you that you're in a situation you cannot resolve on your own: the most important thing a solo diver has is the mindset that they can and will resolve anything that goes wrong on the dive by themselves, and being comfortable with that reality. I'm not sure from your post that you're that kind of person. Which is fine, but it does mean you need a buddy or you're not going to be having fun (at best) and might not have your head right to survive should something go seriously wrong (at worst).

Why your dive buddy hasn't figured that out yet and addressed it in a mutually acceptable way after 4 years is something you should probably resolve. I'm a solo diver through and through, and my SO never was and never will be. The only workable solution was for her to dive a lot less frequently than I dive, and, when we dove together for me to either severely limit my fun for her benefit...or for her to get a dive buddy with her skillset and mentality.

Last edited:
I'd also recommend the SDI Solo course and Rescue. But along with that I'd start looking for buddies who do have the kind of buddy skills you want. I bet it would not be hard to find a slew of them in Florida.

Thanks Dr. Lecture for your input. I'm just came to the reality that I am actually diving solo and it's time for me to be responsible for myself. Yesterday, I actually had my dive shop order me a 40cf tank, just in case.

Now that you mentioned it, I could be having a lot more fun than I have been.

Have you also considered sidemount?

Good luck with the buddy situation.

kari

Thanks everyone!!! I'm going to schedule a solo course here within the next couple of weeks. I'll check into the SDI courses as well.

---------- Post added August 18th, 2014 at 05:54 PM ----------

Kari, I thought about carrying doubles. I just dove with my new Halycon yesterday. It's configured for a single tank, but as I progress...anything is possible. Cavern training is on my list too.

If you were diving solo, would you do a rescue or self-reliant class first?

My husband & I just relocated to South Florida. To be honest, I HATE diving with him as he has no buddy skills what-so-ever. On our last night dive, I was trying to follow his light but lost him quite a few times. I'm tired of playing catch-me-if-you-can. I've discussed this with him to the point of nausea over the past 4 years. I'm extremely frustrated, especially now that we are living in a dive destination as I can only imagine it's going to get worse.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to which class would be the best to take in my situation? My goal is to have rescue, DM & Self-Reliant diver completed in the next 9 months. Any help would greatly be appreciated. Please no husband bashing as I am already there and am literally sick to my stomach.

Thanks!

:rofl3: No husband bashing here but I will tell you I have been down that road! After some research I went with the SDI Solo course and I can give you the name of an instructor in WPB if you need it.

At the risk of starting the Great Debate, reconsider the 40. A 19 or possibly even a 13 will be plenty if you have the typical sac of female divers and at the depths one typically dives in SF.

The rescue course is still a great idea and taking it with your husband may help a little with his buddy awareness skills.

BTW, is he taking a solo course as well? :wink:

Just saw you latest post. We are taking Cavern this weekend in High Springs Florida. Still room for one more student.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom