Service or sell a Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hostage

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I picked up an old regulator, Sherwood Magnum Blizzard w/ a shadow octo, and a full console for $30 locally. I was thinking of using it as a backup or using it as a way to learn how to service a reg. Though i am seeing there is a hog regulator for sale for $180 w/ 1st, 2nd stages, and hose. With the cost of service being what it is, would it make more sense to ebay it and go with a hog? It works, though I wouldn't dive w/o having it serviced first. At about ~$90 for service + parts, I am thinking I am getting into HOG territory and I already have a pony bottle reg setup.

Learn to inspect your regulator. If it is in good working order (not just "it works"), then there should be no reason to have it serviced before use.

Don't forget the Hog would need service as well. It all depends on how much money you have to play with and which reg is higher up on your wish list. I like the old Sherwoods and have a pile of them lying about, they have treated me well, however I have not had a Hog but it is on my list. frogkick.dk/manuals/ will get you the service manuals on the Sherwoods.

Bob

The plus side about HOG is that they have no problems teaching owners how to service their own regs.
Provided you Tech certified, otherwise your out on your own. I don't really understand their logic but it is what it is.

the hog d1 second stage is the easiest regulator in the world to service. I can only assume all others are very similar. You need one 9/16" wrench, one hex key (forget size) and a pic for the O-rings. There is a video out there somewhere showing how simple these devices really are. Second stage rebuild kits are about $13 and $17 for first stage on the Hog D1s. No idea why you need to be Tech certified either but I'm fairly confident anyone w/ any mechanical ability could rebuild them. Id probably want an IP for the 1st stage rebuild though.

Don't forget the HOG will still need an octo and a set of guages so you will need those either new or borrowed off the Sherwood so you are somewhat back in the same boat. Since you have $30 tied up in them my recommendation would be to do both. Get the HOG as your primary, service the Sherwood first and seconds, just parts off the Sherwood for the other bits of your reg and then learn to service the HOG. Plus you will have a spare first and second stage.

It is also somehwhat inaccurate to say HOG will train you to service the reg, it is actually TDI working with HOG and like others have said, must have some kind of tech cert. That makes no sence but that is the rule so for many of us, we can't take the course even if we wanted to. The cost of the course is fairly high and depending on the skill and knowledge of the instructor may or may not be of much use. If you are mechanically inclined, buy copys of "Regulator Savvy" and "Maintance and Repair of Scuba Regulators" for about half the cost and learn it yourself. You can get plenty of help from the DIY section of this board.

There is a lot of misinformation still about the reg service class. Any type of overhead training including cavern or ice will work. Also the TDI nitrox class meets the criteria. Do you already have certs for other mfg regs? If so those are good as well. As for class expense I charge 275 for the class. You do have to fork over a couple hundred for tools if you have none. But if you do your own brakes or any other minor mechanical repairs you likely have most of them.

Learning to service your own reg is the best way to go regardless of what reg you chose. Many will tell you that it is life support so it should be done by a pro but it is not just life support, it is MY life support so I will do at least as good a job if not better. I have never worked on a Sherwood or Hog but regs have not changed much in decades so once you learn you can work on just about any reg. I use older Scubapro regs as they are very solid and easy to work on.

Back
Top Bottom